Trusted Contributor

I make my cutout dough and then divide the dough up and roll it between two sheets of waxed paper and stack them up on a cookie sheet and put them in the fridge usually overnight and then take one sheet out at a time pull the top layer of wax paper off and cut out my cookies and bake.  I find it so much easier to initially roll out the dough when it is soft.  I usually make quite a few batches of dough.  I've been doing it this way for quite a few years, works great.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting some great tips and techniques here.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @pattypeep for asking this question. Thank You everyone for the advice as well.

I am in the same boat.  My daughter picked out some cookie cutters last week at Target so we have to use them.  I use to love decorating cut out cookies when I was growing up.

Honored Contributor

Buttercream is too sweet for our liking and doesn't harden to allow for additional decorating except for sprinkles.

I prefer Royal Icing for cutouts.  It hardens to a beautiful shine!

Royal Icing hardens and makes it easier to store (stack).  This is the easiest recipe I have found.  Other recipes call for egg whites.  I don't care to use raw egg whites.

You can also purchase Meringue powder and follow the Royal Icing recipe on the jar. 

This recipe is so easy.  You can color it for additional decorating...think 'Christmas Cookie Challenge' on the Food Channel.

**I like to use more almond extract myself.

Sugar Cookie Icing

Rated:

Submitted By: JBS BOX

Photo By: SP693

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Ready In: 15 Minutes

Servings: 12

"Sugar cookie icing is a quick and easy recipe using ingredients you most likely already have on hand."

Ingredients:

1 cup confectioners' sugar

2 teaspoons milk

2 teaspoons light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon almond extract **

assorted food coloring

Directions:

In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.

Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.