Occasional Contributor

I would love a recipe for easy and quick ice box pickles for my abundant crop

Esteemed Contributor

Don't have a recipe for you....maybe try Google....but I do envy your abundant crop....we planted seeds twice, but the critters got to them both times!!

Honored Contributor

DH asked for a recipe so I found this one at Dixie Crystal site online but have not tried it yet.

This is a true vintage recipe from the Imperial Sugar 125th anniversary cookbook. Bread and Butter Pickles just like grandma used to make.

Prep time

3:30 to 4:00

Bake/Cook time

0:30

Yield

9 pints

• 4 quarts thinly sliced small to medium cucumbers
  • 8 large white onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 quarts crushed or cracked ice
  • 5 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 5 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons mustard seed
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 teaspoon pickling salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric

1. In a large bowl, mix sliced cucumber and onion. Sprinkle 1/2 cup salt over the top and then top everything with ice. Cover with a lid or plate, put a weight on top and let the mixture sit for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Drain and rinse well with cold water.
  2. Put onion and cucumbers into a large pot. Add remaining ingredients, stirring often and bring mixture just to a boil. (Don’t let it continue to boil.)
  3. Pack mixture into hot, sterilized jars leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath with at least one inch of boiling water over the tops of the jars. Let jars cool on counter until room temperature.
  4. After processing and cooling, jars should be stored four to five weeks to develop their strongest bread and butter flavor.

NOTE: 1 to 1½-inch in diameter zucchini or yellow summer squash can be substituted for cucumbers.

Respected Contributor

This recipe is from Mr. Food Cooking for Two.  If you have a bumper crop, I'm sure you can adjust accordingly.  I have made these and they are so easy and very tasty.  Hope you try it.

1 large cucumber thinly sliced

1/2 cup thinly sliced onion

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon veg oil

2 tbls sugar

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teas salt

1/8 teas black pepper

1 tbls chopped fresh dill of 1 teaspoon dried dill

1.  In large bowl combine cucumber and onion; set aside.

2.  In large saucepan, combine vinegar, water, oil, sugar, garlic and salt.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Pour mixture, yes, while it's still warm, over cucumber and onions.  Add pepper and dill and mix well.

3.  Refrigerate  4 hours until chilled.

Note:  you can peel the cucumber  skin or leave it on.

Serves 2

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker this is a summer staple in our refrigerator. Husband eats daily. This year I've been slicing red peppers and including these in the jar. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@coffee drinker this is a summer staple in our refrigerator. Husband eats daily. This year I've been slicing red peppers and including these in the jar. 

Hi Jean, I have the cubes and I'll add the red peppers.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Honored Contributor

This is slightly OT ....  but I know this is a problem for a lot of people .... the cucumbers "repeating" when served in salads, etc ..... the secret is that what makes them repeat are the cucumber SEEDS .... so the solution is to scrape all the seeds out before using the cukes in a salad!  No burping!  LOL

Honored Contributor

I just made some homemade bread and butter cucumbers yesterday. So easy and oh so good. There are a lot of recipes on line.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Cavime  I make these every year and they are delicious!  Here ya go -

Three – Hour Refrigerator Pickles

6   Pounds of cucumbers

4   medium onions

4   cups sugar

4   cups of white vinegar

½   cup salt

1-1/2   teaspoons ground turmeric

Slice the cucumbers ¼ inch thick. Slice onions 1/8 inch thick.  Place both in a large nonmetal bowl.  Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture.  Stir well for 5 minutes.  Cover and refrigerate 3 hours before serving.  Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, stirring occasionally.  Yield: 2-1/2 quarts

We use canning jars to put them in.  No need to do anything with them just place in the jars and put the lid on them.

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker, thanks!  I am definitely making this.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!