Trusted Contributor

@house_cat  I love Lady Grey tea!  When I saw your photo, it made me "need" a cuppa!  Happy Tea Sipping!

Honored Contributor

My favorite too.

It originated in Germany...Streuselkuchen.  Streusel (crumb) cake.  Initially, made with yeast.   

You can't hide from it in Pennsylvania where many Germans live.  Pennsylvania Dutch (Germans) and Amish are well known for making it in the state, but use fewer crumbs than the New York version.  

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian 

Lady Grey has long been my favorite. The last few months I have not been able to have caffeine at all. The decaf version isn't as satisfying, but I still prefer it over all others.  It's sometimes hard to find at my regular grocery store, but easy enough to get online.

@Foxxee 

It seems that the cake in the NY version is only there to hold the crumbs together, but that works for me, lol.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Foxxee 

It seems that the cake in the NY version is only there to hold the crumbs together, but that works for me, lol.

@house_cat 

I like the New York better.  Lots of crumbs...Yum!

Honored Contributor

Re: Crumby but not crummy!

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

DH saw your recipe yesterday so today he's in the kitchen making the crumb cake. Yum!!! Can't wait to eat some of it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

I don't have an 8 x 11 pan so he's making in a 9 x 9 pan.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

That makes me so happy!  And a husband who bakes?!  You are a blessed woman!

A 9x9 pan is fine, but I've tried in 9x13 and that stretches the batter a little too thin.

I'd love to see a photo of it when he's done, if that's not too much trouble.  

Enjoy!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Nightowlz 

That makes me so happy!  And a husband who bakes?!  You are a blessed woman!

A 9x9 pan is fine, but I've tried in 9x13 and that stretches the batter a little too thin.

I'd love to see a photo of it when he's done, if that's not too much trouble.  

Enjoy!

@house_cat 

I told him to use a 9 x 13 & that's what he said. LOL!!! I told him your making it make it how you want.

Yes he's a baker. He made Oatmeal chocolate chip walnut cookies last weekend. They are so yummy. He's always making bread, rolls etc.

He does not have a problem cooking that's for sure. He does more in the winter when it's so cold. He makes gumbo, jambalaya, chili etc to put in the freezer so he can take some to work for lunch.

I will take a pic when he gets finished with it to post. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Here's a pic. It tastes pretty good but it's a little dry. DH said next time he will try butter instead of oil plus use more or use more milk. I guess what we have ate in the past is more like coffee cake.

Cinnamon Crumb Cake.PNG

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Thanks for posting.  I'm sorry he's disappointed with it, but it looks pretty!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I have made this recipe many times and it is always a big hit. Since I live in NY - everyone is reminiscent of the cake from way back when.

Yes the recipe came from Martha's show but it was a guest baker that provided the recipe. I found it hard to spread out the batter since there is so little of it which is just the flatform for ...and the angels sing...CRUMBS

Have you seen America's Test Kitchen NJ Crumb Buns? I want to try that recipe too