Valued Contributor

@godi that SantanFe Chicken sounds great.I've had my crock pot for about 50 years.  I make a lot of soups, be brave, put in all kind of stuff you like.  My husband loves my bean soup with a ham hauk, very good.  I've done the turkey breast thing, with just onions and celery and spice, makes great sandwiches.  For stew and pot roast you can brown it or not.  If I have the time I do because that carmalized flavor is good, but you  don't have to.  Spagetti sauce from scratch is easy and good.  Anything you cooked slow in the oven will work.  From experience, you can over cook.  I accidently over cooked some pork and we couldn't eat it.  It was my falt I turned it on too early.  Enjoy

Honored Contributor

@KKWA , See this is great info, I love poster's personal experience.

@KKWA wrote:

@godi that SantanFe Chicken sounds great.I've had my crock pot for about 50 years.  I make a lot of soups, be brave, put in all kind of stuff you like.  My husband loves my bean soup with a ham hauk, very good.  I've done the turkey breast thing, with just onions and celery and spice, makes great sandwiches.  For stew and pot roast you can brown it or not.  If I have the time I do because that carmalized flavor is good, but you  don't have to.  Spagetti sauce from scratch is easy and good.  Anything you cooked slow in the oven will work.  From experience, you can over cook.  I accidently over cooked some pork and we couldn't eat it.  It was my falt I turned it on too early.  Enjoy

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I was a young single woman when I got my first crock pot.  A friend summed up the c.p. appeal perfectly when she said " coming home to a c.p. meal is like coming home to someone who loves you"; I've never forgotten that.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Beef, Potatoes & Onion

Stew beef chunks - marinate w/ S&P, EVOO, bay leaf, apple pie spice, allspice & onion.

Golden potatoes - scrubbed & chunked (skin on)

Vidalia onion - chunked

Turn pot on H (so nothing sticks). Add stock & a twist of dry sherry + splash of raspberry balsamic vinegar. Potatoes on bottom, beef chunks on top.

Cook on H starting early a.m. to eat for lunch.

or Cook on L for overnight to eat for lunch.

Honored Contributor

My 2 favorites in a slow cooker are pork butt & chicken thighs

Bone in, skin on chicken thighs, seasoned with your favorite seasoning.    Salt & pepper, or seasoned salt or whatever you have that you know you like.   Add 1 can of a condensed soup, whatever one you like, celery, mushroom, onion, bacon etc plus a half can of water or broth.  Cook on low at least 6 hours.   I don't eat the skin but the skin & bones impart flavor.

I don't do anything to the pork butt.    It already has lots of moisture as well as fat for flavor.  I season it when I eat it.   I don't do any other kind of pork in a slow cooker.   For my taste,  pork should be cooked fairly quickly & slightly underdone.   Also I always brine my pork

This is the slow cooker I use

crock pot.jpeg