Valued Contributor

My mother had a recipe for making pickles in a crock (not a crock pot!) one of those heavy type ceramic/clay? things---- What I want to know is since we don't have a crock anymore and they're really expensive- does anyone know if you can use a giant Ball or Mason( type GLASS jar? Would that work? the recipe is not one you "process" on the stove top- you just add the brine and cukes in the crock and let it ferment in a cool place. We've tried metal pans- but the vinegar makes shamble of it- eating into the metal - so not good. ( when they're done fermenting - you keep them in the refrigerator but because they're not 'processed"-- they don't keep long- you have to eat them right away.

Trusted Contributor

Mason jars are perfect for this use. My brother-in-law makes pickles using that method, and he puts them in a mason jars--no problems. You could use any glass container as long as it is air tight.  

Respected Contributor

I think a glass vessel would work because it's non-reactive. Metal becomes corroded by the acid (vinegar). 

Honored Contributor

Re: Crock Pickles Question

[ Edited ]

My Mom used to make pickles in a crock under a heavy plate. I remember the brine had to be changed periodically. I remember it was an old wives tale that do couldn't "fix" your pickles "that time of the month" which I was young & didn't understand what that meant but one of us kids had to do it for her. She would stand there & tell us what to do but we had to do it. 

Seems so funny & silly now but I guess after all that time & work why take a chance right? I guess I would err on the side of caution too.

Anyway, she put the extras in a huge glass bowl & it worked fine every time.

Thanks for the memories. She has been gone a long time, yesterday was her birthday & you made me laugh instead of being sad. Thank you for that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crock Pickles Question

[ Edited ]
Yes, you can use a large glass jar to brine pickles, just make sure you have a breathable top covering for the gas to escape as it ferments, and set the jar on a surface that won't be damaged if the solution works over the sides as it ferments.
Valued Contributor

Thanks to All for your replies- however I do know that you do not put an air tight top on the "crock". That air tight seal  is when you are making pickles that you need to seal in boiling water in a large canning pot on top of the stove with the metal bands. (just an FYI).---  

Valued Contributor

I'm not sure how I made you laugh- except to bring back that "fond" memory.If that's so- them you're very welcome! Yeah- that "time of month when the "friend" visited--- certainly  not especially friendly!----More like the cousin you couldn't stand!! LOL!-- My mom's been gone for 6 years-I still cry for her but I cherish the memories especially since I'm older now and have grown children with children of their own. If only they can remember us when we've gone on--- that would be nice. The "recipe" I spoke of is already being used by one of them and that's why I inquired if anyone had luck with glass instead of crocks.