Regular Contributor

Cranberry mixture for Thanksgiving

Good Morning everyone!

I was getting my grocery list ready for Thanksgiving yesterday and my son told me he would like us to make our own cranberry sauce this year. We both love cranberries but was NEVER a fan of that canned stuff so we just avoided it altogether. Before I go searching the internet I was just wondering if anyone here has a tried and true recipe that you use.

Thanks in advance for any tips/recipes.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cranberry mixture for Thanksgiving

[ Edited ]

@JB116 It's so easy. I make it every year using the recipe on the bag, but

for the adult verison I make this baked Bourbon Cranberry Sauce from Epicurious.

We have not had canned cranberry sauce in decades.

Respected Contributor

@JB116, Here is a sort of recipe (lol) I make every year, can tweak it to your taste.

1 bag cranberries

1/2 cup granutlated sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup orange juice & zest of 1 orange

1/4 cup water

2 Tbsp Grand Marnier (if desired)

Dash of salt, cin, nutmeg, allspice (or what you like)

Put all in saucepan, bring to boil, cook just until berries start to burst.

Set aside, after 1/2 hour taste for sugar, add more if desired

Hope this helps

Trusted Contributor

I have been making the recipe on the bag since I was a kid - grind the cranberries with whole fresh oranges and sugar. That's it. 

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey

Yum! Thanks for your 'adult' version, I'll be trying this one this year!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Here is a twofer for anyone who has not yet decided on a cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving.  I use the leftover sauce on a pork tenderloin, and, to be honest, I like the pork tenderloin better than the turkey.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Pork-Tenderloin-with-Balsamic-Cranberry-Sauce/m-p/1930877/highli...

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I made my own cranberry sauce a few years ago that was so good and really very easy to make.  I found a rcipe that had dried cherries in it. So many recipes on the web. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Regular Contributor

I made this after I heard it on NPR, it's great.  

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

Enlarge this image

Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish should be thick, creamy and shocking pink.

Avie Schneider/NPR/

The Recipe's Origins

As Susan Stamberg has noted, her mother-in-law got the recipe from a 1959 New York Times clipping of Craig Claiborne's recipe for cranberry relish. In 1993, Claiborne told Stamberg: "Susan, I am simply delighted. We have gotten more mileage, you and I, out of that recipe than almost anything I've printed."

This relish has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. It's also good on next-day turkey sandwiches and with roast beef.

Makes 1 1/2 pints

Ingredients

2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed

1 small onion

3/4 cup sour cream

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white")

Instructions

Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned meat grinder," Stamberg says. "I'm sure there's a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind, not a puree.")

Add everything else and mix.

Put in a plastic container and freeze.

Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers left.")

The relish will be thick, creamy and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto-Bismol pink.")

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

Enlarge this image

Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish should be thick, creamy and shocking pink.

Avie Schneider/NPR/

The Recipe's Origins

As Susan Stamberg has noted, her mother-in-law got the recipe from a 1959 New York Times clipping of Craig Claiborne's recipe for cranberry relish. In 1993, Claiborne told Stamberg: "Susan, I am simply delighted. We have gotten more mileage, you and I, out of that recipe than almost anything I've printed."

This relish has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. It's also good on next-day turkey sandwiches and with roast beef.

Makes 1 1/2 pints

Ingredients

2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed

1 small onion

3/4 cup sour cream

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white")

Instructions

Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned meat grinder," Stamberg says. "I'm sure there's a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind, not a puree.")

Add everything else and mix.

Put in a plastic container and freeze.

Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers left.")

The relish will be thick, creamy and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto-Bismol pink.")

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@JB116 It's so easy. I make it every year using the recipe on the bag, but

for the adult verison I make this baked Bourbon Cranberry Sauce from Epicurious.

We have not had canned cranberry sauce in decades.

@Mary Bailey I don't think I have ever seen a recipe where the cranberries are roasted/baked in the oven.  Thanks so much for posting this, it looks delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe  @IG It's very tasty!  Every year my FIL asks for his "take home" container.