Honored Contributor

I'm not sure this second, but I have a really good recipe for cornish hens. I really liked it, my husband not so much since, not as much "meat", but I may dig that out again! I may even just make them for me. When I try that with other stuff, the next thing I know is he comes in following his nose around the corner! LOL.

Do any others here like cornish hens too?

Respected Contributor

I just had them a couple weeks ago when we had company over for dinner. I just roasted them with stuffing, cut them in half for each people's serving. Worked out well for me, and everyone seemed to enjoy their dinner.

Respected Contributor

We love them, but they're pricey around here.   I either cut them in half or spatchcock them and cook on the grill.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

A long, long time ago, I remember my girlfriend's mom making a number of these for a grown-up dinner party she was having.  They seemed so fancy to me as my mom never made them and I didn't even know what they were until it was explained.  I'm sure this sounds pretty silly, but I made a beautiful Cornish Hen dinner for DH and I early in our married life.  When we sat down to eat, I just couldn't do it.  All I saw was a baby chicken.  Believe me, I've always been a meat eater and have never had an aversion to poultry so I was quite surprised at myself.  DH loved his, but I just couldn't do it.  That was the first and last time I've ever bought Cornish Hens.  I'd love to try them again sometime, but it's not something I really think of when making my grocery list.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm not sure this second, but I have a really good recipe for cornish hens. I really liked it, my husband not so much since, not as much "meat", but I may dig that out again! I may even just make them for me. When I try that with other stuff, the next thing I know is he comes in following his nose around the corner! LOL.

Do any others here like cornish hens too?

I really love them, but my DH doesn't care for them all that much, either. 

Respected Contributor

the 3 of us really like them as well but also pricey around here so, I watch for a sale than pick up 3. I too stuff them not that you can do much stuffing but they are very good. We think they are more moist than a roast chicken which DH won't eat the white meat saying it is always so dry.

They are something different from the norm even though it is basically chicken.

Trusted Contributor

Here they are usually $2.50 each..

Last weekend for Family Supper, I cut 10 of them in half,made a sweet BBQ sauce and marinated them over night,then baked.They were moist and very good.No left overs.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   Oh my gosh....our cornish hen experiences are almost identical!  Had them served to me at a fancy dinner party when single.  Filed that in the back of my mind for something special to do one day.  After I was married, I decided to prepare this for a special dinner for DH and myself before our first baby arrived.  As soon as I sat down and saw that hen on my plate, I lost it.  Looked like small baby chicken to me, too.  Think I had cereal for dinner that night.  Had to find a new menu for special dinners!

Honored Contributor

I had them at a family member's house one Christmas.  They were stuffed and delicious.  Our seventeen year old son was absolutely crazy about them!

I never think of them!  Thanks!