Trusted Contributor

just laughing at myself... I made chicken tortilla soup today and wanted cornbread to go with it.  Simple enough, so I went on pinterest for recipes.  First I made muffins and they were heavy and dense like hockey pucks.  So then I picked a recipe for an 8x8 pan.... I knew that the batter was too thin and it got dark brown on top and still goopy in the middle.  My hubby just smiled and told me it was delicious!   ha ha -- he probably thought I'd start crying if he said anything else!    I should have just bought a box of Jiffy mix!

So for next time, does anyone have a favorite recipe to share?  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick 

Just save yourself the extra work and aggravation, you really can't beat Jiffy or Martha White sweet cornbread mix, IMO and I'm a deep south girl, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I take a heaping Tbsp out of the Jiffy mix and add 1 Tbsp flour (S.R. is available).  Either works!

Still same taste, not so crumbly!

Honored Contributor

My husband likes the Marie Callender's mix.

Honored Contributor

I don't do sweet cornbread, so I follow the recipe on the back of the White Lily White Cornmeal mix pkg using buttermilk.   Sometimes I add cracklins.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cornbread... ugh!

[ Edited ]

@Knit-Chick 

Buttermilk Cornbread (sweet)

INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 C. butter
  • 1/2 C. sugar
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 C. Buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 C. Cornmeal
  • 1 C. All-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan or muffin pan.  I use a ceramic baker, because the cornbread comes out very easily. I also use muffin pans for individual servings (see photo). Melt butter in the microwave or on the stove. I use a microwaveable mixing bowl. Stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Do not ask me why you need to add the baking soda to the buttermilk before stirring into the mixture.  I'd say you can probably skip this step and add in the baking soda after you add the buttermilk. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Honored Contributor

Good cornbread always starts with White Lily cornmeal! Woman Tongue

1E9180BB-1676-4B63-B478-B6000F5C8233.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Sounds yummy! All is need is some honey butter!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Knit-Chick  I forgot to provide the photo:

Corn Bread2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick - I grew up eating my mom's cornbread. We like it on the sweeter side, but not overly sweet.

DH makes it from scratch once in a while, and he never had it growing up. When I make it I use Martha White or Pioneer!  Smiley Wink