Esteemed Contributor

I have just begun to use apples with my slow-cooked chicken - especially Granny Smith.  Sometimes pears, too.  With ginger and soy, yum!

I like cukes and onions in vinegar.  Now I find, Granny Smiths and Vidalia marinated in white balsamic is delish.

I was wondering how you use fresh fruit in your cooking, besides the obvious, desserts.🍏

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

The old fashioned oats that I make in my crock pot calls for fruit and nuts.  I've used blueberries/almonds, apples/walnuts and bananas/pecans.

Respected Contributor

Fruit and salad are magic tastes for me: I love chicken salad with Apple's, orange segments, berries of all kinds.....jicama slices....tuna is surprisingly great with fruit.

I have to watch carbs and sugars, but I love fruit.

One of my favorite treats is dried figs ( I limit to two or three) with almond butter. 

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking With Fruit

[ Edited ]

I use a lot of fresh fruit in green salads - apples and cheddar cheese, oranges and avocado, watermelon and goat cheese, strawberries and candied walnuts, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I have just begun to use apples with my slow-cooked chicken - especially Granny Smith.  Sometimes pears, too.  With ginger and soy, yum!

I like cukes and onions in vinegar.  Now I find, Granny Smiths and Vidalia marinated in white balsamic is delish.

I was wondering how you use fresh fruit in your cooking, besides the obvious, desserts.🍏

@Sweetbay magnolia, You gave me a sweet memory.  When I was a child, our family had the largest fine shoe store in town.  Three doors down and across the street was the cafeteria where my handsome dad often had lunch.  A few times I was there with him when I was very small,  and he got cucumbers and onions in vinegar and a touch of sugar.  This was the '50's, so I guss you're beinging back a popular item!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the touch of sugar in the cucumbers and onions is a Swedish touch - according to my Mom and Grandpa, @ECBG.

Thanks for the responses.  

Cogito ergo sum