Respected Contributor

Never cooked sea scallops.  Was going to use this allrecipes method, except perhaps using 1-1/2 minutes per side instead of "several minutes" as I understand it's easy to overcook.

ttps://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/132358/easy-garlic-lemon-scallops/

Any suggestions or recommendations??

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

I find it tricky to cook scallops correctly, so they don't turn out with a texture like very expensive chewy erasers.

It's all heat and timing.

I've learned this: start with a very hot pan. The butter should be sizzling, add scallops just before butter starts to burn.

Once they're in the pan don't move them around. Turn when first side is done. Remove from pan, drain on paper towel immediately when done.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I find it tricky to cook scallops correctly, so they don't turn out with a texture like very expensive chewy erasers.

It's all heat and timing.

I've learned this: start with a very hot pan. The butter should be sizzling, add scallops just before butter starts to burn.

Once they're in the pan don't move them around. Turn when first side is done. Remove from pan, drain on paper towel immediately when done.

That is how I cook them also and they come out perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

YES, @Kitlynn , it's more about technique than ingredients.

The texture changes as it cooks, and you're really limited to poking the upper surface and trying to gauge whether it's ready to flip, based on the resistance you feel.

The change in resistance between raw and cooked is so subtle, that's why people tend to overcook them.

Honored Contributor

I've only ever fried scallops in an oiled skillet on top of the stove.  I start by blotting out excess liquid with a clean dish towel, then sprinkling with salt and pepper.  After heating a tablespoon of oil, I fry the scallops for about 1 1/2 minutes per side.  

Honored Contributor

We have scallops at least once a week.

I looked at the recipe posted and I usually do about the same thing, but I always add a little bit of milk to the pan before I cook them.  That keeps them from over cooking and getting rubbery.

We like them wrapped in bacon too.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've only ever fried scallops in an oiled skillet on top of the stove.  I start by blotting out excess liquid with a clean dish towel, then sprinkling with salt and pepper.  After heating a tablespoon of oil, I fry the scallops for about 1 1/2 minutes per side.  

@deepwaterdotter

I do the same, except I use butter instead of oil.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking Sea Scallops

[ Edited ]

Are they different from Land Scallops?  LOL   Sorry, I just never heard anyone call them that.  We just call them scallops....and we prounounce them  "scollops".  I love them, I've cooked them all my life.  Baked, broiled, fried, pan friend.  They are easy to over cook and when you do, they come out chewey and rubbery.  When I pan fry in oil, not butter.   I don't know about time because it depends on how big or thick the scallops are.  I pan fry in oil and when one side is a nice golden brown, I flip them until the other side is golden brown.  They should break apart easily and be tender.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree sea scallops are bigger scallops.  Bay scallops are small, like a marble.  If it doesn't say which on the menu, I always ask.  I don't care for bay scallops .

I cook sea scallops until they have color on them.  Sometimes I cut them in half and cook.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cooking Sea Scallops

[ Edited ]

Hi, @denisemb !  here's a recipe my husband and I love for sea scallops.  This was published in our daily paper when we lived in Huntington Beach and we've made it ever since.  The key is to use a top quality balsamic vinegar - we've gotten ours from Williams Sonoma or Amazon (Villa Monodori).

https://www.latimes.com/recipe/balsamic-glazed-scallops

ETCorrect typos from my loser iPad.  😏