Honored Contributor

Re: Cookbook recommendations for newlyweds?

If they are receptive to learning to cook, I would find the most simplest of cookbooks, with recipes needing the fewest ingredients.    Help them build their confidence and skill levels first, with recipes of 5 ingredients or less.

My pantry and refrigerator are filled with expensive spices and other ingredients my daughter has purchased to make specific meals for her and her boyfriend.  This daughter has basic cooking abilities, but has never spent enough time at home to cook often enough to tackle the recipes she chooses.  After the last fiasco that the dog wouldn’t touch, and took 2 days to get the seafood smell out of my house, I finally got her to understand what the real problem is, which is she’s trying to cook outside her skill level.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe my first cookbook, 48 years ago, was the "Betty Crocker Cooking for Two."   It was informative and great for those starting out and not knowing their way around the kitchen.  I don't know if it's still published, maybe it is and hopefully updated.  Check Amazon.

ETA  I checked Amz and it's called "Betty Crocker's New Dinner for Two" -- $93, mine had to be less than $5 at the time.  Other cheaper prices shown.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, it is all about what they want to learn to do.  My oldest DD used to push a chair up next to me as a toddler and "help" me cook or bake.  The second and third DD's could have cared less.  The middle DD eventually took an interest in health and exercise and taught herself to cook the food she wanted to eat to help her achieve her goals.  Youngest DD started with Blue Apron or Hello Fresh.  It contained recipes and directions she could understand and now she is able to shop and cook as she prefers to eat.  The oldest DD can cook or bake about anything-she is fearless.   Right now she is loving her Ninja Foodi.  Helps her get dinner on the table fast for their family of 5.  Hope this helps.  I know this doesn't recommend a cookbook, but I think life has pushed past a lot of the past ways of doing a lot of things.  It is sad as they don't know what they missed but life moves us all on. I think you are going to have to judge what the couple is up for and move forward on that.   The internet has replaced cookbooks for a lot of people-I still love them, but use the internet a lot as well.   

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose I would get them a Ninja Mulit Cooker.  You can have oven, steam roast, stove cooking, slow cooking all in one.  Then get a cookbook for it for them.  

Actually cookbooks really just take up space.  If they are young then they can find anything online.

Respected Contributor

If they Really haven't a clue I would give them a little book called "Cooking for 1 or 2." buy K. Greenburg and B. Kyte. 

Very simple setp by step recipets.  but actual grown up Dinner food. along with sandwiches, salads,  pasta,  veggies and the sauces to make with them.  This is a good little book for Anyone starting to cook  who wants more than burgers and PB&J.  a confidence builder.

Esteemed Contributor

My niece got married last year and got a cookbook for a gift she said “ why did we get this? I can get any recipe online. We would rather have a gift certificate or money”. She gave me the cookbook. 

Respected Contributor

The best gift I did for my three children and sibleys was to make a cookbook of mine and my family recipes along with photos and stories of them.  These are what most people start with as home cooks. 

Yes you can get lots of recipes online but no memories come with them. You don’t have to write up 100 recipes like I did but a new recipe book with several favorites that they may like along with the book for them to add to would make their own recipe memories.

Just a thought.

Valued Contributor

Fanny Farmer is the BEST!! my daughter asked for one when she was away at college. she uses it all the time now that she has her own place. she has given me recipes from it too.

Valued Contributor

I have been enjoying Jamie Oliver's show on the PBS Create Channel.  If they're new to cooking, they would probably enjoy his cookbook:  5 Ingredients Quick & Easy Food.  Great main dishes and salads, pasta, and desserts - and contemporary, like you'd find in restaurants today.  Easy to make and clean up, often in one pan, and prepped in 10-15 minutes.  All look delicious too.  His cookbook can be purchased on the Create Channel's website.  Will likely be ordering it for myself.

Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

My niece got married last year and got a cookbook for a gift she said “ why did we get this? I can get any recipe online. We would rather have a gift certificate or money”. She gave me the cookbook. 

Wow....I hope she didn’t say this near the person who took the time to find and purchase this gift for her.   It’s one thing to think that...,but sounds rude and ungrateful to actually say it.