Honored Contributor

Re: Cookbook recommendations for newlyweds?

[ Edited ]

My sons and their wives use the internet for recipes and have no cookbooks.  

You might consider a subscription to a boxed meal prep service but I’m not sure, without knowing the couple, if that would be welcome or not.

ETA:  Is the couple saying they eat out too much or is that your observation?

Esteemed Contributor

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.  Any of Ina Garten's cookbooks.  Both authors have easy to follow recipes/

Respected Contributor

I got the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook 40+ years ago.  I know it’s been revised, but I imagine it’s still a good one.  Some recipes are hard to find online.....my ex and I don’t talk, but last year he sent a message through our daughter asking if he could please have a copy of the fruitcake recipe from that old book!  (Yeah, I gave the recipe to daughter to pass on to him...after all, it was the Christmas season!).

Esteemed Contributor

@cimeranrose  I have collected cookbooks for years and have over a thousand, but my first one was the Betty Crocker cookbook (I still have it), which is what I would recommend.  I am sure that you can get a new edition.  Also, the Bisquick cookbook.  These are much easier to follow for new cooks, if that is what they really are.

My first thought, though, is a subscription box for a year.  If they are a working couple, this will save them time and money.  No eating out often and no spending a lot of time at the grocery.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

Yes, @RoughDraft  - they realize they're spending too much on eating out/take out plus it's not the healthiest.

Valued Contributor

@tansy - Dh  mentioned it's probably not best for their budget and they agree...

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much everyone for your great ideas! They are moving into a new apartment in September and I thought a new cookbook or two might be nice to give them.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG , that's a really good idea. I'll ask them if they think they would use one if I bought them one.

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

@ECBG , that's a really good idea. I'll ask them if they think they would use one if I bought them one.

@cimeranrose Thank you.  I'd give to them.  They have to eat.  When they see the recipes, they may realize it's "doable"!!!

Honored Contributor

Purchasing a cookbook for someone is like purchasing a perfume.  It is very personal because you have to know the lifestyle habits and preferences in order to buy what they would use/like.  I agree with the Instant Pot idea as it covers many bases.