Honored Contributor

Vamp's éclair cake sounds good! I'm not a fan of the Cool Whip either. No es bueno!

For us, this time around, I ordered one of Junior's Lemon Coconut Cheesecakes. I love this sooo much!!

Trusted Contributor
On 12/21/2014 chickenbutt said:

Vamp's éclair cake sounds good! I'm not a fan of the Cool Whip either. No es bueno!

For us, this time around, I ordered one of Junior's Lemon Coconut Cheesecakes. I love this sooo much!!

Dusty posted it first, she gets the credit {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor
On 12/21/2014 Vamp said:
On 12/21/2014 Holly Jolly JingleBells said:

A trifle makes a nice holiday dessert, not too heavy, fruity and festive.

We have done a trifle many years. A pavlova is also a nice alternative. This year my DD wants a cake. She hasn't specified what kind of cake, so I've been looking at recipes. Any suggestions?

Does your DD like egg nog? I have a recipe for Egg Nog Cheesecake that not only tastes delicious, but has a lovely presentation too. It uses the Pepperidge Farm Pirouette Cookies arranged around the outside of the cheesecake.

Trusted Contributor

Funny about the Nabisco chocolate wafer cake...I'm making it for Christmas Eve as it's a family member's birthday and this is so easy and delicious and not as heavy as a regular cake! It's funny how it's so simple but so good! I usually add a bit of vanilla and sometimes malted milk powder to the heavy cream before I whip it also. It's very versatile as you can add any flavorings you want...one time we put cherry pie filling on top and it was so good...kind of light a lighter version of a black forest cake! It's nice when old recipes stand the test of time!

Honored Contributor
On 12/23/2014 lOVETOSHOP said:

Funny about the Nabisco chocolate wafer cake...I'm making it for Christmas Eve as it's a family member's birthday and this is so easy and delicious and not as heavy as a regular cake!

Mine too, having cake myself tomorrow but yours does sound better!!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

These are cucciadati ~ a Sicilian cookie made with figs and almond paste. It was a staple at the holiday table along with biscotti but the kind of biscotti that is a lightly colored cookie tied in a knot. The grand finale were home made cannoli.

My mom and her two sisters made the shells the weekend after Thanksgiving. They had 4" log like forms that they wrapped the dough around and fried in oil. Then they lined paper bags with newspaper and we kept the shells in the basement where it was cold (I grew up in Chicago). Then Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's day, a few hours before dessert time, a filling was made with ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, very finely chopped cherries and some shaved chocolate. For those who did not like cheese, we substituted the cheese with whipped cream.

I only have one 86 year old aunt left and the cousins are scattered all over the U.S. I really miss the old traditions and get together. Food binds family and friends alike.