Honored Contributor

Chocolate Chip Cookies

[ Edited ]

Made cookies yesterday with a recipe I found online. I made a few changes but thought the cookies were really yummy.

Soft Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

• 1 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 c butter softened
  • 3/4 c butter flavored crisco
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 4 1/4 c AP Flour
  • 2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 c or so semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used the mini chips)
  • 1 c chopped pecans

• Heat oven to 375°.
  • In a large bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar, and butter or margarine until light and fluffy.
  • Add vanilla and eggs; blend well.
  • Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
  • Drop dough by rounded Tablespoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  • Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes or until light and golden brown.
  • Makes 4 dz or so depending on size

chocolate chip cookies.jpg

Super Contributor

YUM !!!   I use the Toll House recipe on the bag of chips. My only changes are to use one TBL vanilla and salted butter (omit adding salt). I bake on parchment paper and it seems to keep the cookies soft and a little firm -- not crispy. I think if you melt the butter it make a crispy cookie ????

Honored Contributor

Warm homemade chocolate chip cookies are the best. 

Esteemed Contributor

I make the toll house recipe too @withaK and have always thought them to be the best chocolate chip cookies out there.  This recipe sounds delicious as well @Nightowlz and, more importantly, they LOOK delicious!  

Honored Contributor

A favorite of mine.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz, I'm sure they're deeelicious!

Many years ago when I was a young mom, I had a GF who made the best choc chip cookies. Her secret was to mix by hand and use butter flavored Crisco.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Nightowlz, I'm sure they're deeelicious!

Many years ago when I was a young mom, I had a GF who made the best choc chip cookies. Her secret was to mix by hand and use butter flavored Crisco.

@sabatini

It's hard to mix by hand with all that flour. I do mix a lot of things I bake by hand plus have to have DH help to stir when my hand starts hurting. LOL!!!

I used the Kitchenaid yesterday.

The half butter half crisco keeps the cookies from going flat.

Respected Contributor

I hear you, @Nightowlz! Mixing by hand can be a PITA. 

You're right - the Crisco definitely makes a 'higher' cookie. 

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

My daughter and I just discovered an awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe, too.  It's Joanna Gaine's recipe from her new cookbook and, I"m telling you, the cookies are incredible!  She said she discovered two changes that really make the cookies delicious - using only one stick of butter (most recipes seem to call for 2 sticks) and using all brown sugar (rather than a combination of white and brown sugars).  These are quite possibly the best chocolate chip cookies we've ever made.  Now I'm not sure if this made a difference, but the butter we used was Kerrygold Irish butter.  Next time we make this recipe, we may just use a regular brand of butter to see if there's any difference.  Joanna's recipe is widely available on the internet.  So glad we tried it!

Honored Contributor

I used to make chocolate chip cookies with half chocolate chips half butterscotch chips for my brother when he had a brain tumor. I took them each trip we made. He loved them. I have not made homemade cookies in 15 yrs since he passed away. 

I finally made a batch of these about a month ago. Yesterday I made some more.