Honored Contributor

My sister made this goodie during our visit to Fl. at Christmas. I thought it was really good & evidently so did everyone else. I only ate 1 piece as it was devoured. She got the recipe off All Recipes but changed it a bit. She also thinks it would be even better with some more of the milk chocolate frosting on the middle layer of graham crackers. I liked it just as it was. You do need to let it set for a few hours before eating so the mixture can soften the graham crackers. Enjoy if you try it.

Chocolate Éclair Dessert
2 -3 individual packages graham crackers
2 (5.1 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
5 cups milk
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed (cool whip) or homemade whipped topping
1 (14-16 ounce) package prepared chocolate frosting (Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate)
Line the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan with graham crackers.
In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and milk; stir well with whisk or handheld mixer for 2 minutes or until thickened. Mix whipped topping into pudding mixture. Spread half of mixture over graham cracker layer. Top with another layer of graham crackers and the remaining pudding.
Top all with a final layer of graham crackers and *frost with chocolate frosting. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving to allow the graham crackers to soften.
*To soften the frosting put it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds at Power Level 3 and it will be easier to spread over the graham crackers. Don’t get it too warm.
It's best if it sits overnight or at least 4 hours before serving.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Chocolate Éclair Dessert

I love this dessert!

The recipe I have doesn't use canned frosting on top. Instead, the topping is made with:

1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. milk
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Bring cocoa, milk, and sugar to full rolling boil; boil about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool one minute. Add butter and vanilla; stir until butter is melted.

I also make it with real whipped cream and cook & serve pudding (cooled) just because I like the flavor of them better. The whole thing can be assembled ahead of time and chilled.
Trusted Contributor

Oops, forgot to add the pic & the link, in case anyone wants it:

http://www.thekitchenismyplayground.com/2012/03/no-bake-chocolate-eclair-dessert.html

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Vamp said:

I love this dessert!

The recipe I have doesn't use canned frosting on top. Instead, the topping is made with:

1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. milk
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Bring cocoa, milk, and sugar to full rolling boil; boil about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool one minute. Add butter and vanilla; stir until butter is melted.

I also make it with real whipped cream and cook & serve pudding (cooled) just because I like the flavor of them better. The whole thing can be assembled ahead of time and chilled.

My sister had a recipe similar to the above with a homemade frosting but decided to try the canned frosting. She knew she would be really busy with all the company & meals to prepare. I asked her how are you going to get that frosting to spread on top? She put it in the microwave & it made it easy to spread. I would imagine with homemade whipped topping & fresh made frosting it would be even better. I don't think I have ever ate any cook & serve pudding. I have always used the instant. She had so many pies, cakes & candy. She always makes too much food. Plus my other sister brought over goodies. I love sweets but at the moment I'm sick of them. LOL!!! I ate a lot of strawberries, watermelon & pineapple when I was there. Wish the fruit I buy here was as good as the fruit they had in Fl. Thanks for sharing another Chocolate Éclair recipe.

Trusted Contributor

Its a lot better with real custard, real whipped cream and chocolate ganache. All those fake ingredients aren't good for you. I know a lot of people go for convenience but if I'm going to have the treat and the calories, I want it to be worth it,lol!
Respected Contributor

I agree with Lynn, but the other way is tasty too and super quick. I like the smooth, silky chocolate ganache!

Valued Contributor

Agree about the real ingredients, the calories are worth using the real thing.
Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Lynneuk said: Its a lot better with real custard, real whipped cream and chocolate ganache. All those fake ingredients aren't good for you. I know a lot of people go for convenience but if I'm going to have the treat and the calories, I want it to be worth it,lol!

ITA. Chocolate Ganache would be so much better. When I eat a goodie if I don't care for it I don't eat it. I'd rather use my calories on something really good.