Esteemed Contributor

Do you have certain foods that you always fix together?

I like fried fish, cole slaw, baked or fried potatoes and hush puppies. (A local restaurants serves fish with mixed veggies, yuk)
Pork roast, yellow rice, black beans and plantain. Pork (any) with sweet potatoes and greens. What are your favorites that you always serve together?

Super Contributor

Re: Do you have certain foods that you always fix together?

When my mom made fried fish, the vegetable was always stewed tomatoes. For some reason they just seemed to go together.

Honored Contributor

I do.

Honored Contributor

We always have potato salad with our ham.

Respected Contributor

I know it sounds typical but....I make a corned beef in the crockpot with carrots. However, I make smothered cabbage. I do not boil it (yuck!).

I cut up bacon and fry it, remove it from the pan and add the cut up cabbage. I add pepper and toss it around for 10 minutes or so. Then I turn down the heat and put a lid on it for another 10-15 minutes (get it to the consistency you like). At the very end, I add the fried bacon. I then serve this with smashed Yukon gold potatoes and add chives and horseradish.

Esteemed Contributor

Spaghetti, tossed green salad, garlic French bread.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

Chili WITH cornbread.

And a roast chicken HAS TO BE accompanied by some type of cranberry something, or else.

Trusted Contributor

Yep, fried fish always goes with coleslaw and potatoes (usually boiled, butter/herbed red potatoes), and hush puppies.

Spaghetti with meat sauce and tossed green salad with shaved parmesan and vinaigrette.

Fried liver and onions with mashed potatoes and green peas.

Grilled steak with baked potato and mixed green salad with blue cheese dressing.

Chili with creamy slaw and saltines.

Chicken with buttered/herbed rice and a green vegetable.

Baked ham with sweet potatoes, green vegetable, and a fruit salad.

Regular Contributor

Potato pancakes with either canned peaches or pears. Sometimes pork sausage.

My family made this for lent,-no sausage then-the fruit was what we had canned.

To this day I don't like syrup on these pancakes. OH-yes the pancakes had finely chopped onion.Smile

Honored Contributor

With meat loaf always a baked potato and another vegetable. Lamb chops usually rice or a sweet potato and a green vegetable. Pasta--a roll or garlic bread plus a vegetable or salad. Plain hamburger patty--with baked potato, cottage cheese and a vegetable.