Respected Contributor

Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

I was hungry, the mood struck and I had everything on hand.  I just ate two of these Woman Embarassed

Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

½ cup dried tart cherries
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup ricotta cheese

1/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk, divided
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup whole-grain pastry flour **
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour 
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½  teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine cherries and juice in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute; let stand 5 minutes. Drain; discard liquid. Finely chop cherries.

Combine ricotta cheese, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, orange rind, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture. Add 1/3 cup buttermilk and canola oil to remaining ricotta mixture, stirring until smooth.

Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, remaining 3 Tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cherries and almonds; toss. Add buttermilk mixture; stir just until combined.

***Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 3 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Combine egg and remaining 1 Tablespoon buttermilk, stirring with a whisk Gently brush top and sides of dough with egg mixture. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool slightly on a wire rack.

Beat the reserved ricotta mixture at medium speed 3 minutes or until fluffy.

Serve with warm scones.

Mrs. G's notes: *I used almond extract.  

**To substitute for whole-grain pastry flour, I used a total of 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour and 5/8 cup cake flour in the recipe. 

***Although the dough was wet/sticky, I formed this into a round and cut it into 8 (sloppy) wedges.  Baking time was adjusted to 20 minutes.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

Those scones sound wonderful, I'm copying that recipe.

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.
George Orwell
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Cherry Almond Ricotta Drop Scones

[ Edited ]

Yum!  My all time favorite cookie...scones!  

p.s...(biscotti is also a big favorite..Smiley Wink

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View