Honored Contributor

Cheesy Sheet Pan Scalloped Potatoes

Those irresistible crisp, lacy edges are the best part of scalloped potatoes, so we make them in a sheet pan—increasing the surface area for maximum browning. The sauce is packed with plenty of sharp Cheddar that goes perfectly with thin slices of tender potato.

• Level: Easy
  • Total: 55 min
  • Active: 15 min
  • Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for the pan

2 cups heavy cream

1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 1/4 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed (about 8)

1/3 cup grated Parmesan

8 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated

Directions

Special equipment:
 an 18-by-13-inch sheet pan
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease an 18-by-13-inch sheet pan with the butter.
  2. Bring the cream, thyme, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, then turn off the stove. 
  3. Thinly slice the potatoes on a mandoline or vegetable slicer into rounds about 1/8 inch thick. Arrange half the potato slices in a single, overlapping layer on the sheet pan and sprinkle evenly with salt, half the Cheddar and half the Parmesan. Top with the remaining potato slices and sprinkle with salt. Drizzle the hot cream mixture evenly over the potatoes. Use a small offset spatula or butter knife to spread the garlic and thyme evenly over the potatoes.  
  4. Cover the pan with foil and bake until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and sprinkle the potatoes with the remaining Cheddar and Parmesan. Cook uncovered, rotating the pan halfway through, until very brown and crusty on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Cheesy Sheet Pan Scalloped Potatoes

Oh my word that looks wonderful.   Your's looks much better than the one that is in my cabinet.  I need to get more movitivated.Woman Very Happy

Betty Crocker Scalloped Casserole Potatoes - Front

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Yum, that looks good (and, a lot).  Looks good for Easter brunch.

Thanks for sharing @Chi-town girl.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 @Spacrazy - I usually make the scalloped potatoes in a casserole dish, but this sheet pan version looks easier. I'm going to make this for Easter brunch

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

All kidding aside my first thought when I saw the photo "is that dish is a work of art."   Your family will adore it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Oh I like the idea of the sheet pan cooking @Chi-town girl  that’s what got my attention.  ALL the Easter lilys in our family come out so this should help.

Honored Contributor

What a good idea!  A thick casserole takes forever to cook!!!

Honored Contributor

Seems easy enough.