Respected Contributor

Simple Cucumber-Vidalia Onion Salad

[ Edited ]

From the new April 2022 issue of SOUTHERN LIVING magazine, along with a beautiful photo of the dish.  Vidalia onions are coming back in season now.  My Mom, who probably never heard of a Vidalia onion, made the same type of salad for my Dad, who loved all onions and cucumbers, no matter where they were from.

Vigorously whisk together 1/3 cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper in a medium bowl until sugar dissolves.

Add 4 cups thinly sliced English cucumbers, 1 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion and 2 tablespoons torn dill sprigs.  Stir to combine.

Let stand, stirring occasionally 5 minutes

Honored Contributor

Re: Simple Cucumber-Vidalia Onion Salad

My mom fixed this same thing in the summer.  I fixed it and still do.  But I use just plain onions unless I have Vidalia on hand.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 

I clipped this recipe from my magazine the other day!  My mom used to make a similar salad when I was young too.  We love it!  Thanks for posting it.  

I also make I similar recipe which has sour cream.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie    My mother often had a cute/onion salad for us although I doubt she ever heard of Vidalia onions or English cucumbers.  The salads I remember came from produce that grew in our own garden.  I still make mine with whatever is on sale at the time.

Trusted Contributor

Interesting concept. I have done similar without heating. I would try this, hoping not to lose the crispness.

Respected Contributor

@FLgardener 

If you're looking for crispness, this probably isn't your recipe.  It's more like  a marinade (or pickling) for very thinly sliced onion and cucumber.

You could slice the vegetables more thickly and use a similar dressing and refrigerate for a longer time, and I'm sure they would be good.  It just means not following this recipe very literally.

Honored Contributor

Count me in as another one who grew up with this salad.

Of all the recipes my mother left me, this was not one of them.  Thank you for posting it! 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Thank you!

A salad right up my alley!

Not a fan of cukes and sour cream or mayo!

this is so much lighter!

Respected Contributor

I made a cuke salad yesterday to serve with beef stew. I used English cucumbers and sweet onions. My brine's pretty simple: equal amounts of sugar and white vinegar with twice as much water as vinegar. Slice the cucumbers and onions, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Dissolve the sugar in the water, then add the vinegar. Taste and adjust as needed. Add to the veggies, then store in a tightly lidded container for several hours. I like to use a glass Lock and Lock container so the brine smell doesn't stick to the container. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have a version of this salad as a side dish frequently in spring and summer. I think it pairs so nicely w/ lots of different grilled meats. It's great w/ sweet onions, like Vidalia or Walla Walla sweets, but also tasty w/ red onions as well. Love the smell of fresh dill. I also use the marinated onions and cukes to top a hoagie sandwich. Yummy stuff.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."