Honored Contributor

Not feeling very well today, so was looking for something quick and easy to make for dinner, browsed online for a bit and found this, luckily I had all the ingredients to make it. Turned out great, we (hubby & I) both liked it.

Cheesy Chicken Pasta

8 ounces whole wheat penne

2 cups 1/2" cauliflower florets

1 T EVOO

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup dry white wine

3 cups low fat milk (I used 2%)

3 T all purpose flour

3/4 t salt

1/2 t freshly ground black pepper

1 cup shredded Gruyere, or Swiss cheese

3 cups shredded cooked chicken, or turkey (I had shredded chicken left in the freezer from last week).

1 t Dijon mustard

2 T chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes.

Add cauliflower florets and cook until pasta and florets are tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, rinse and return to pot.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Whisk milk, flour, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until smooth. Stir chicken and mustard into the cheese sauce; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Stir the sauce into the drained pasta and cauliflower. Serve sprinkled with chives or scallion greens.

Hope you enjoy, if you make it. Let me know what you think of it.

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

This sounds really good! I love gruyere cheese.