Respected Contributor

Changing Ingredients in Recipe

I have a steak stir fry recipe.  I made it before, family loved it.  Just thought it was a bit salty.  I want to make it again, but without all the saltiness.  The recipes calls for soy sauce.  I plan on using low sodium soy sauce this time.  It also calls for 1 teaspoon of beef granules in 1 cup of boiling water.  Do you think I can replace that with just a can of beef broth?  I did use bouillon cubes because I just can't find grandules.  Do you think all the salt taste is coming from the soy sauce?  Or combination of that and bouillon?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Changing Ingredients in Recipe

@ScrapHappy Check the sodium levels on the broth and the bouillon  --  you might go for lower sodium broth, too.  I love salt, but still try to cook with a limited amount always.  Too much is too much for my taste and my BP.

Honored Contributor

I NEVER use any type of sodium when I cook. Stopped using it 39 years ago when I devloped hbp when pregnant with my first. I enjoyed the true taste of food without silly additives so much I never went back to adding any sodium. My recipes are always tasty and never plain.

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

Use your intuition and just experiment. If too salty, elimate full strenth soy sauce. You won't ruin the dish by eliminating some sodium.

Don't eliminate all of the sodium. Salt does enhance flavor, brings out flavor. 

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I would use both low sodium soy sauce and bouillon broth and add the same amount of water.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Why not first step back and look at your daily diet.  Set a limit on sodium, like 1,000 or 1,500 mgs .  See where you are.

I put milk my coffee and it naturally has a lot of salt.  If I want olives on my salad, I have to regroup.

Trusted Contributor

@ID2  I admire you. I have tried to do that several times and have not been successful. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Why not first step back and look at your daily diet.  Set a limit on sodium, like 1,000 or 1,500 mgs .  See where you are.

I put milk my coffee and it naturally has a lot of salt.  If I want olives on my salad, I have to regroup.

@Still Raining 

But she said it TASTED salty. 

I don't think it is a matter of her daily sodium intake but a matter of the taste

and flavor of the dish.

I agree with @Imaoldhippie  use reduced sodium on both BUT and it is an impt BUT....READ the labels!

I recently discovered that Swanson Low Sodium Chix broth has WAY more sodium that reg Weg Chicken Stock!  I was shocked!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Still Raining 

But she said it TASTED salty. 

I don't think it is a matter of her daily sodium intake but a matter of the taste

and flavor of the dish.

I agree with @Imaoldhippie  use reduced sodium on both BUT and it is an impt BUT....READ the labels!

I recently discovered that Swanson Low Sodium Chix broth has WAY more sodium that reg Weg Chicken Stock!  I was shocked!

@RespectLifeYES!!!, You must be really careful if you need to have sodium restrictions in your diet due to medical conditions, kidney stones, renal disease, HBP etc. Labels that say low sodium are frequently not low but less than the full version of that product.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie     stated the answer simply:   It's OK to substitute low sodium ingredients

♥Surface of the Sun♥