Contributor

Re: Celery Seed Fraud?

[ Edited ]

Oops.  I didn't realize I hit "post" while I was still typing.  Edited to delete the incomplete sentence.

Contributor

You can buy a 1/2 cup "flatpack" of celery seed at The Spice House for $3.99 with free shipping.  Their flatpacks are always free shipping and you can trust their products.  I always use celery seed in my Macaroni Salad and then add an additional sprinkle on my serving because I love it so much.  I really hope that you're able to find some or consider trying to buy from The Spice House.  Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Gr8Auntie

Respected Contributor

Vinegar based Coleslaw, chicken pot pie, and pot pie turnovers.

Honored Contributor

@Memebell wrote:

Besides pickling and cucumbers, what all do people use celery seed for?  I have always wondered. 

I use it in coleslaw and egg salad, sometimes I will add it to tuna, chicken and potato salads. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Celery Seed Fraud?

[ Edited ]

@Memebell wrote:

Besides pickling and cucumbers, what all do people use celery seed for?  I have always wondered. 

It has a very spicy, distinct, and sharp flavor.

Editing to add that it has a peppery flavor to me, like black pepper. 

I think that it's really good. It's a very tiny seed, and from what I know about it, it's used many times to add flavor to different salads. 

It's used to season/flavor potato salads and cole slaws, for example.

I use it to also flavor roasts/meat.

It does taste like celery to me, too.

Try adding some to flavor a roast some time. You don't need a lot of it--just a light sprinkle on your meat. It adds a nice flavor to a pot roast, for example. 

However you decide to use it, you just need to use it lightly. I feel that if you use too much of it, it can over-power your dish. 

Trusted Contributor

@Gr8Auntie wrote:

You can buy a 1/2 cup "flatpack" of celery seed at The Spice House for $3.99 with free shipping.  Their flatpacks are always free shipping and you can trust their products.  I always use celery seed in my Macaroni Salad and then add an additional sprinkle on my serving because I love it so much.  I really hope that you're able to find some or consider trying to buy from The Spice House.  Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Gr8Auntie

When I looked on amazon again today, McCormack's did come up, in a very similar tall glass shaker, just like the Great Value one that I bought at Walmart.  It's also labeled as Organic.

Several other brands in the same container.  Since when is celery seed sold in a clear glass salt shaker-type bottle?

I'm afraid to try them because they look just like the one I got, just different labeling. 

Respected Contributor

My cole slaw isn't cole slaw without adding more celery seed than is already provided in the Marie's coleslaw dressing found refrigerated in grocery store produce departments.

I used to make my own slaw dressing, but have found Marie's a great go-to, as well as Marie's Ranch and Maries' blue cheese dressings for salads in general.

Celery seed is also a must in my potato salad.

Respected Contributor

McCormick  Gourmet Organic Celery Seed in glass shaker bottles is sold in every grocery store along with other spices and herbs, I think.

I just checked my glass shaker bottle w/ expiration date of sometime next year, and it definitely smells very much of celery.