Valued Contributor

Carol's SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE

I have made this, and it's so good! I haven't made it in awhile, so when I came across the recipe again, I wondered if any of you would like to have it. Carol1229 posted it a couple? of years ago....and I copied it then. Oh, how I miss her!! Enjoy!

SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE by Carol1229

1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup (can use low-sodium, reduced-fat cream of chicken soup)
1 cup water
1 cup thick and chunky salsa (whatever level of heat you like-we love mild salsa)
3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed (a good substitute is an 11 oz. can of Mexicorn, drained)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 pkg. low sodium taco seasoning
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (can use reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese or reduced fat Colby-Jack cheese blend)
Sliced green onions (optional)
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Extra salsa for garnish (optional)
Sour cream for garnish (optional)

Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Sprinkle black beans over bottom of prepared dish. Stir together soup, water, salsa, rice, onion powder and corn; pour mixture over beans.

Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of each chicken breast half; place chicken breasts on top of mixture in baking dish.

Cover and bake @ 375 degrees for 60-75 minutes or until chicken and rice are cooked through.

Sprinkle with cheese; return dish to the oven for about 5 minutes more to let the cheese melt.

Serve chicken with salsa, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped fresh cilantro (optional). Sprinkle with sliced green onions before serving (optional). Serves 4.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Carol's SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE

Looks good to me. I'll have to try.

Honored Contributor

I tried her Melt in your Mouth Chicken, loved it, happy to try this one also. Thanks for posting it.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Oh I so miss her too! Many of my first and favorite recipes are from her!

Thanks so much for reposting this, Diamond Girly! I am sure I copied it but who knows where I put it!

Valued Contributor

snickster, yes her Melt in you Mouth Chicken is delicious! I can't wait to try this one as well. She is missed around here.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.