Super Contributor

I also make a big batch and freeze. We love them and I do up a baatch in the fall when cabbage is very cheap. the cabbage has to be alittel soggy; it is cooked cabbage.

Trusted Contributor

I love stuffed cabbage and am glad to see some recipes will be posted here! This food item isn't part of my heritage, but I've really enjoyed what I've tried, though I've never prepared it. Most of the stuffed cabbage I've eaten has a sweet/sour flavor with a tomato sauce and lively, interesting spices.

Honored Contributor
My MIL thought that the cabbage leaves would get too soft and mushy if stored..best eaten same day.She was a really good cook.We fry about one pound of beef with a little onion,salt and pepper and then add apot of rice that was made using one cup of dry rice.We steamed the cabbage ahead and rolled a couple of tablespoons of the rice mixture..she likes them small so we usually cut the leaves in half..removing large core parts.put them in a roasting pan and mix one can of tomato soup with a half can of water and pour over.Cover the rolls with remaining cabbage pieces and cover the pan with lid.Bake at 325 till fork tender.we fry a little onion and garlic with the meat...forgot to include that part.
Super Contributor

Now you have me hungry for Golumpki!

Super Contributor

I have watched my mom and have made cabbage rolls myself for 50plus years and I ALWAYS make mine the day before and bake them in the oven. They are way, way, better the second day as the flavors really do intensify. My family always asks for them on special occasions. Cabbage rolls and pierogis.

Contributor

Here is a recipe with uncooked macaroni. I think I got it from this board.

BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, sliced into several pats
12 oz grated Cheddar cheese
4 oz grated mozzarella cheese
5 cups milk
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Layer the macaroni, butter slices, Cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese in order given in a 13 x 9 inch dish. Pour the milk over the top. Season with salt and pepper.

Bake uncovered for 1 hour.

To prevent this dish from becoming too brown and crusty, cover with foil for the last 15 min. of baking. You can experiment with different cheeses such a Swiss, provolone, etc.

Contributor
On 12/23/2014 mistylady said:

Here is a recipe with uncooked macaroni. I think I got it from this board.

BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, sliced into several pats
12 oz grated Cheddar cheese
4 oz grated mozzarella cheese
5 cups milk
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Layer the macaroni, butter slices, Cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese in order given in a 13 x 9 inch dish. Pour the milk over the top. Season with salt and pepper.

Bake uncovered for 1 hour.

To prevent this dish from becoming too brown and crusty, cover with foil for the last 15 min. of baking. You can experiment with different cheeses such a Swiss, provolone, etc.

my mistake... I replied to the wrong thread..... sorry!

Super Contributor
On 12/21/2014 Lucky charm said:
On 12/21/2014 D Oro said: Okay. So now I want a few good recipes. Lol

Mine are pretty darn easy to make and a real hit in my family.

This would be a typical recipe amount for 4 adults.

First you have to steam the cabbage. I cut off the bottom core and peel away the first couple of outer layers and toss. Then I peel back leaves as carefully as possible so not to tear (but it's okay!) and I steam in a speck of water with a pinch of salt (salt in water not necessary). When they are pretty well wilted I drain in a colander and let cool off.

I take about two lbs of ground beef (you can also use the beef pork veal mixture). Always use it fresh from the supermarket, never after I've frozen and defrosted it. That's just me, tho. lol

All I add to the ground meat is about 1 or 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, some sea salt and cracked pepper. But feel free to add Italian seasoning, sautéed celery, onions, whatever you like along with your spaghetti sauce dishes. Even a ladle of tomato sauce is good.

I mold the 'patties' in the shape of long ovals (think russet potato shapes). But you can do round (huge!) meatball shapes instead.

I wrap each 'loaf' in one or two cabbage leaves. Just so the meat is completely covered with cabbage. I lay them in an oblong baking dish and pour two jars of spaghetti sauce (I use Organicville Tomato and Basil) till you can't see the cabbage rolls at all. Bake for an hour and a half at 350*.

Depending on size you make them, you usually yield about 3-4 per pound of ground meat.

They are delicious with mashed potatoes (made with sour cream, cream cheese, milk and butter of course!), salad and rolls or bread.

Recommended walking 10K steps that day!

Thank you so much! Copied and saved.