Honored Contributor

Re: CULTURED BUTTERMILK POWDER QUESTION?

@DiAnne wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@ECBG

There is 2/3 cup of oil in batter and also 2 T sugar.  The only thing I changed was using the buttermilk powder.  I have heard about adding vinegar to milk.  I will try that the next time I make them.  It is not a complete loss because I put them in the freezer to make "toaster waffles" and I am sure the toaster will crisp them.  

How much vinegar to a cup of whole milk?

@DiAnneStir one Tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice into a cup of milk.  Wait a few minutes.  Results.

If you had 2/3 cup of oil on your mixture, you may have taken them out of the waffle iron prematurely.  Browning is actually the step before burn.

@ECBG

I don't have that option to take them out.  I bought this crazy spacesaver horizontal waffle iron on a whim at Costco.  It works great.  It is a Cuisnart.  I will try the vinegar the next time I use it.  Thanks.

I'll look into it.  I have never heard of a waffle iron like that!  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne.....I have used this dry product for years, the only thing that I recall off the top of my head that I used it for was baking a cake - there was no difference in the cake that I can see from using true buttermilk vs the powder and water mixture.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne...if you don't like using the powder, buy the buttermilk and purchase some small containers that will hold just enough buttermilk for a recipe of waffles - then freeze for further use.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I bought some of this powder at the store and tried for the first time today.  I love to make waffles but often don't because I haven't thought ahead to buy the buttermilk.  I like crisp waffles so I turn the waffle iron almost to high.  They came out soft.  They have color on them but are not crisp.  I am debating whether to throw the powder out.  Have you had any experience using this?

What are the ingredients in the powder? What liquids are in the recipe? 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D

Ingredients:  Cultured blend of sweet cream churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey and lactic acid.  

You add water to supposedly make buttermilk,

Liquids in recipe:

2-1/2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
2/3 cup vegetable oil