Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

I made your corn chowder recipe for company last night and it was a HUGE hit!  Honestly one of the most delicous soups I've ever had. I followed the recipe, but I did not make the corn stock - I used chicken stock from a box and added cream at the end of cooking.

Thank you for a fabulous recipe!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@drizzellla 

I made your corn chowder recipe for company last night and it was a HUGE hit!  Honestly one of the most delicous soups I've ever had. I followed the recipe, but I did not make the corn stock - I used chicken stock from a box and added cream at the end of cooking.

Thank you for a fabulous recipe!

So glad it worked out for you and your guests. 

That is exactly what I did. 

Since I made it about a month ago, I knew I wouldn't be able to get fresh corn on the cob. So I used canned corn. And I also just used chicken stock since I wasn't able to make the corn stock.

I also thought that I would add the cream at the very end. I didn't know if cooking cream for a longer period of time would affect the cream and make it separate or get weird. 

I found  the recipe when I was looking for recipes that called for heavy cream. My son needed heavy cream for a dish he was making for a dinner with friends. And my husband came home with a quart of heavy cream. All my son needed was 1/4 cup. So I wanted to at least use more of the heavy cream before I threw it out.

Thanks for letting me know that it worked out well for you.

Respected Contributor

Re: CORN CHOWDER

[ Edited ]

I made this recipe from the Betty Crocker website recently and we loved it. It's quick and easy, and it's a little spicy with a Southwestern flair. 

Creamy Southwestern Corn Chowder     

Bettycrocker.com

Serves 2-3

2 Tablespoons butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup flour

1-3/4 cups chicken broth (*I used 1 can Swanson’s Natural Goodness Chicken Broth)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (*or less)

1/2 cup Half & Half

1 can Southwester Style Corn (11 oz.)

2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or a few dashes dried chives

For serving:

Fried or baked tortilla strips (fresh made or bought) for garnishing bowls of soup

In a 2 or 3 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.

Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in broth.  Stir in salt, black pepper and cayenne; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.

Stir in half and half, corn and chives. Cook until thoroughly heated. Taste for salt, and add a bit more if needed. Serve sprinkled with tortilla strips.

Notes:

*I used 1 can Del Monte Southwest Corn with Poblanos and Red Peppers, undrained (15.25 oz). Since it contains poblano peppers, it's already a little spicy. So I cut back a bit on the cayenne pepper in the recipe. 

I think it depends on which brand//type of corn you use, how much pepper and cayenne you would want to add. Green Giant makes canned Mexican corn (11 oz.) that has green and red bell peppers added but no spices. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CORN CHOWDER

[ Edited ]

This thread made me really hungry for Corn Chowder, but I can't eat corn....too much fiber!  What to do??

I used cooked mashed potatoes and milk for my base.

Took a can of creamed corn and drain, and smashed it through a small colander and......CORN!  

Combined the 2, added some milk and WaHoo!     

Corn Potato chowder

Added some crisp bacon and some fresh mushrooms I sauted in butter yesterday and..oh, so yummy!

Will definitely make again!

Respected Contributor

I love a good corn chowder.  I was searching for a place for DH and I to go out to dinner tonight and I found a new place we haven't been to that serves corn and crab chowder.  Reading this post put me in the mood for some so we have reservations for tonight.  I'll let you know if the corn and crab chowder was any good. 

Honored Contributor

I'd never buy the canned stuff when it's fairly easy to make any of the recipes provided in this thread. We'll finish up some split pea soup for our lunch today.

Respected Contributor

Well the corn and crab chowder wasn't what I was craving.  It had some of the compoents mentioned the recipes posted here- bacon, potatoes but it was spicy and not creamy as I was hoping.  Oh well DH promised to make me some.  

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for all the posts.  I made drizella's recipe and it was fabulous.  I'll try a couple of the other recipes maybe in the fall when it's not quite so hot.

Again, thank you.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta