Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 (29 ounce) cans red beans (with liquid) (not kidney beans)
  • 1 (29 ounce) cans pinto beans (with liquid)
  • 1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
  • 1 can original rotel tomatoes
  • 2  teaspoons cumin powder
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 T. ketchup or barbeque sauce

Brown hamburger and onion.  Put everything in the crockpot and stir.  After it cooks for a while, if it is too thick you can add some water to it. 

I guarantee you this is the best chili ever!

Now, this one sounds really good to me. I usually wimp out with McCormick's packaged chili seasoning mix, and it turns out pretty well--and it's FAST, all stovetop, not much stirring. But I have all the ingredients for this version except the beef, and will get that this week and try it.

I usually eat chili with beans over rice. I first had chili in a school cafeteria (my mother never made it), and they always served it over rice, so in my mind that's how it's supposed to be. It's too rich for me anyway if I eat it on its own. Never tried it with cornbread.

Thanks again, @mima!

Respected Contributor

Re: CHILE CON CARNE

[ Edited ]

@noodleann  If you like sweet chili, you can add up to a 1/4 cup ketchup or barbeque sauce.  I just squirt some in without measuring.  LOL

Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@noodleann  If you like sweet chili, you can add up to a 1/4 cups ketchup or barbeque sauce.  I just squirt some in without measuring.  LOL

I may just try that. I was never fond of ketchup until I bought a bottle of Rokeach ketchup that my store brought in for Passover sales. It's wonderful, and I think the main difference between it and other ketchups is it uses sugar, not high fructose corn syrup. The flavor is great, and I'll definitely try upping of ketchup the quantity when I make your chili.

Respected Contributor

@DiamondGirly wrote:

Just an FYI Kachina - con Carne means with MEAT, not beans...just in case someone gets confused.

Thanks for posting your recipe idea! I'm saving it also! Smiley Happy

This always use to confuse me!...lol! My mom is from Puerto Rico. She always called it Chile con carne, which literally translated means chile peppers with meat(no mention of the beans). She always cooked it with olives. I was grown before I ever heard of Texas Chili(no beans). Now I know the name is interchangeable to most. Either way, Chile is one of my favorite foods! I love the stuff!

Funny story. My husband was just telling my youngest ds  on Sunday, that when we first got married(43 yrs. ago) he had to eat Chile con carne, broccolli and spinach everyday! Of course I told ds that that was an exaggeration, but honestly I did cook the three quite often as I do like them very much!!! (...and yes, I do know how(even then) and if I say so myself am a very good cook!)Smiley Happy

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@noodleann  If you like sweet chili, you can add up to a 1/4 cup ketchup or barbeque sauce.  I just squirt some in without measuring.  LOL

@mima, I bought the beef and will be getting the right beans and hopefully making this later today or tomorrow.

Your recipe didn't say how long and on what temp to cook everything. I am used to directions like 6-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high, but wondered what worked best for you with this.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann  I just put it in the crockpot on low for the day.  Some crockpots cook hotter than others. Just watch it.  If it starts to cook on the sides where it might burn, stir it.  When it gets done, turn it down on the keep warm setting. When it is done it will be thick and rich looking.  I think I cook mine about 8 hours on low. 

Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@noodleann  I just put it in the crockpot on low for the day.  Some crockpots cook hotter than others. Just watch it.  If it starts to cook on the sides where it might burn, stir it.  When it gets done, turn it down on the keep warm setting. When it is done it will be thick and rich looking.  I think I cook mine about 8 hours on low. 

Great, that's a big help. I know chili usually isn't a precision operation, but didn't want to mess up my first try. Thanks much.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann  Did you make the chili?  If so, I really hope you liked it!

Respected Contributor

@mima, today's the day. Yesterday was egg salad, which was great. I have the beans on the shopping list, and when I do a bank deposit later today, will pick them up and get this in the crock pot. Nom nom ahead!

Respected Contributor

@mima, I finally got everything together and into the Crockpot late last night. It smelled wonderful this morning, perfect thickness, no need for extra liquid (although I did do a quarter-cup of ketchup).

I just had a bowl for lunch. I believe you are right--this is GREAT CHILI! I've had a 7.5-ounce bag of McCormick's chili mix sitting in my cart at Walmart.com, but I won't be getting it. I'll be using your recipe from now on. The seasonings are perfect, and of course it doesn't have that slightly mealy aftertaste you can get with some of the cheaper chili mixes. It's just great straight chili. I'll make rice later and have it for dinner, then get the rest into the freezer.

BTW, I searched my two local supermarkets, both the shelves and their online sites, for red beans that weren't kidney beans, and I couldn't find them. Pinto beans, no problem, but I did wind up with kidney beans. Do the red beans that aren't kidney beans go by a different name, by chance? Or are you in the south or the west, where they might have a more diverse bean choice? (I'm in the northeast.)

Anyway, thanks for my new chili recipe, and I hope others try it. It has the added advantage of being a snap to put together, provided you have a good can opener. Woman Wink