Respected Contributor

@noodleann  I'm so happy you like my recipe!  You can use kidney beans, but I like red beans better.  They add red color, but they aren't as crunchy/chewy.  Red beans are softer.  I buy mine at Walmart.  I copy and pasted, sorry the can is so large.  LOL

Great Value Red Beans, 15 Oz (Pack of 12)

Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@noodleann  I'm so happy you like my recipe!  You can use kidney beans, but I like red beans better.  They add red color, but they aren't as crunchy/chewy.  Red beans are softer.  I buy mine at Walmart.  I copy and pasted, sorry the can is so large.  LOL

Great Value Red Beans, 15 Oz (Pack of 12)

@mima, thanks so much. I'm in SMH mode because while I checked the two supermarkets--which are big--I didn't think to check the Super Walmart up the road. Those beans look a little smaller than kidney beans, and I'll definitely get them when I make this again. I filled eight Rubbermaid containers with this batch, so it won't be for a while.

I was thinking this chili would make a great chili dog, too. I haven't had one of those in decades, because I never think of it when I have dogs and chili, and when I'm eating out, I don't trust them to have good chili. This is the stuff! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

i like eating my chili on saltines or club crackers, but i have some friends who love it over rice. my mom likes it in a bowl with lots of crushed tortilla chips.

i prefer using all kidney beans......light and dark.

i like it with dollop of sour cream or mexican crema and a bit of shredded cheese and some raw chopped vidalia onion or spring onions.

i think i am craving some chili now. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

When I want red beans that are not kidney beans, I buy this brand.  I am very salt sensitive, so I look for products w/o added salt or very low sodium.

Eden Organic Small Red, 15 oz Beans (Pack of 12)

Honored Contributor

Since I am a more heat the better I stopped using all other pinto beans and replaced using the below they are sooo good. 

BUSH'S BEST White Chili Beans Mild Chili Sauce, 15.5 OZ

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@mima, apologies to everyone else for belaboring this, but I just have to tell you again how good your chili is. I put most of it into the freezer after I made it, and yesterday pulled out one serving size of yours and one of the last of the McCormick mix chili I'd made last month.

I made rice, so I could eat the chili the way I usually did, and then I taste-tested the two. I know this will sound like a wine review or something un-chili, but yours had bright, deep, distinct flavors. The McCormick's chili flavors were, in comparison, flat and muddy. 

I just wish I could find recipes like this that are so easy and really deliver great taste for all my old favorites.

Thanks again. Nom, nom, nom.

Respected Contributor

Re: CHILE CON CARNE

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@mima, apologies to everyone else for belaboring this, but I just have to tell you again how good your chili is. I put most of it into the freezer after I made it, and yesterday pulled out one serving size of yours and one of the last of the McCormick mix chili I'd made last month.

I made rice, so I could eat the chili the way I usually did, and then I taste-tested the two. I know this will sound like a wine review or something un-chili, but yours had bright, deep, distinct flavors. The McCormick's chili flavors were, in comparison, flat and muddy. 

I just wish I could find recipes like this that are so easy and really deliver great taste for all my old favorites.

Thanks again. Nom, nom, nom.

@noodleannYou don't know how happy I am to read this.  Thank you so much.  I am 61 years old and I have tried many chili recipes through the years.  Chili is one of my favorite foods and I think I could eat it every day in some form and not get tired of it.  I eat plain chili, chili on hot dogs and chili on baked potatoes.  I will have to try chili on rice.  I've never tried it, but I bet it is good.

I am so thrilled you like my recipe.  I took a basic recipe that I liked and kept changing it until it was perfect for my taste.  It actually is no longer the original recipe at all.  I'm so glad you like it!!!!

Great description of the taste test, I love it!!!  Thanks for the compliment.

P.S.  I did edit my original recipe post to include that if you want sweeter chili, add more ketsup (which I had posted in another post) and you can reduce the sodium if desired by using no salt added tomato sauce and low sodium beans.  

Oh, and chili is always better after it is reheated no matter what the recipe is!