Honored Contributor

I have recently had 2 Hazelnut Chocolate Cakes that had a crispy layer inside.

Not chopped nuts.  Almost like the wafers inside a Kit Kat.

I was gifted M74210  the Geof Z Chocolate Hazelnut Cake. 

"Crunchy chocolate hazelnut strip cake is smooth and creamy with a hint of crispness"

It's that crispness I am trying to recreate.   I am not looking for a cake recipe....I am looking for whatever that 'crispness' is inside I can add to my current recipes.  Wafers to buy?

I googled and Amz like crazy and nothing looked right.  Lots of wafer cookies sold I suppose I could use....but I just keep thinking there must be a baking item I am unaware of.

Thought of using pizzelles, but they would get soggy inside a cake.  Both these cakes...the crispy crunch remained.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: CAKE BAKERS HELP, PLEASE

Tuiles? 

Feuilletine?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife    I did a websearch using the words cookie wafers and many  ideas  turned  up.  

On an Amazon picture which I  clicked on was Wafers Lekorna and one of the reviewers  mentioned she used these in a  Ukrainian cake recipe.  Another reviewer said they got soggy in a refrigerator cake recipe.

A brand called Oblatne came up on Amazon which indicated itwas used especially for torte  cakes.  Think these were not sugar glazed.  They might be closer to what you are seeking.

I wonder if you "hardened" the Lekorna ones by using a sugar glaze and baking them again in an oven and refrigerating them before using in a cake recipe might help them to remain crisp.

I wonder if Rice Krispies or Rice  Krispies treats dusted in cocoa powder would work?

It will be  interesting to see what ideas others here offer.

My only other guess might be you might have to bake separate layers and then assemble the cake's layers and then frost or use a ganache to finish.

Sometimes what is used in commercial bakery  products like Zakarian's cake is not easily found or replicated for home  use.

Good luck.   This cake sounds delicious, by the way.

aroc3435

Washington,  DC

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Tuiles? 

Feuilletine?

Thank you @CelticCrafter  !

I don't know what either of those are but I will look them up!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks @aroc3435 

I did find the Oblatne on Amz...just wasn't sure that was what I was looking for!  There are other torte type wafers...again...I was clueless what it was I was tasting!

The only thing I knew what they were not crushed nuts.  Def a wafer of some sort.

I think your rice krispie suggestion is a good one too!

I had planned on using them between the layers of the cake when assembling and not baking them in it.  I thought that would make a major sog.

Zak's cake was very rich but very good.  A thin sliver was all you could eat. I like to bake, so I would never pay that but it was a lovely gift!

It was more of a creamy torte than a baked cake...kinda 'rawish'.  Maybe a flourless type of dessert.

I was hoping to create that crunch layer but more in a baked cake.  I have recipes for Hazelnut cakes that are both baked and flourless

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife   I Googled, "hazelnut wafer that stays crisp inside cake layers," and got this interesting result:  Ferrero Rocher Cake.  

In case you don't know, Ferrero Rocher is a crunchy, chocolately, nutty candy.  I'm afraid to leave a link, so this is as close as I can get it for you.

Hope this helps!  --Mrs. G.

URL:  https://letthebakingbegin<dot>com/ferrero-rocher-cake/

Edited to add:  I forgot to mention the recipe offers an Amazon link to the Quadratini wafers she uses between the layers.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG 

Thank you!

I did see those recipes come up but I am such a BAD 'searcher'....it never dawned on me to click on the ingredients in the list!  DUH!

Thanks for pointing that out!  I checked all three recipes and each took me right to the 'crunch' they used.

I was thinking old fashioned sugar wafers might be a great way to go.  And easy!

I bet I can even find those at Wegman's of some variety!

Those are one of my FAV candies and exactly the flavor and crunch I was looking to recreate!

Contributor

You might be looking for  dacquoise, @RespectLife 

It's a crunchy merinque/nut layer, most often made with hazelnuts. Very well known and popular in Europe.

My favorite kind of dessert, yum Smiley Happy

Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@RespectLife   I Googled, "hazelnut wafer that stays crisp inside cake layers," and got this interesting result:  Ferrero Rocher Cake.  

In case you don't know, Ferrero Rocher is a crunchy, chocolately, nutty candy.  I'm afraid to leave a link, so this is as close as I can get it for you.

Hope this helps!  --Mrs. G.

URL:  https://letthebakingbegin<dot>com/ferrero-rocher-cake/

Edited to add:  I forgot to mention the recipe offers an Amazon link to the Quadratini wafers she uses between the layers.

I make my own Ferrero Rocher balls every Christmas using the wafers you mentioned, @IamMrsG Smiley Happy They stay wonderfully crispy! Of course I brake them in little pieces and also add lots of chopped hazelnuts Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@toja  Would you mind starting a new thread (so as not to hijack this one) and share either your instructions or aim me to the URL for those Ferrero Rocher balls?   (Caution:  QVC Moderators don't usually allow links anymore.)  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.