Honored Contributor

Buttery Crockpot Ranch Mushrooms

[ Edited ]

179CB3AC-8BD0-435D-A415-B9E12FA67313.jpegThis was a big hit at a Pot Luck dinner several years ago. I was skeptical of mushrooms cooked in a crock pot - it was delicious!

Edited to add the complete recipe:

Buttery Crockpot Ranch Mushrooms

Three ingredients is all you need to make the most delicious and flavorful mushrooms! Just toss them in a slow cooker and let it do the work for you!

Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 5 mins

Course: Side Dish
Servings: 3 -4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 lb fresh whole button mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup butter , melted
  • 1 packet of dry ranch dressing mix
  • 1-2 Tbsp fresh parsley minced (optional, for garnish)
Instructions
  • Clean mushrooms thoroughly, then place in bottom of slow cooker.
  • Whisk ranch dressing mix into melted butter, then pour over mushrooms.  Stir to coat.
  • Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.  Check for desired tenderness, and cook a little longer if needed.
  • Serve garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
Notes
If you're feeding more than 2-3 mushroom-loving people, I suggest doubling the recipe:

2 lbs fresh mushrooms3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks)Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil2 packets of dry ranch dressing mix

Cook as directed.
************************************************************************************************

Buttery, and full of ranch flavor, the crockpot does the work for you with this mushroom side dish! Only takes 5 minutes to prep and 3 simple ingredients!

Do you have 5 minutes and 3 ingredients?  I bet so… and if you do… you could be having these mushrooms.  Tonight! That’s right you guys… 3 ingredients.  THREE!  

CAN YOU PUT MUSHROOMS IN A SLOW COOKER?

Absolutely!  Or I wouldn’t be sharing this recipe 🙂  The reason people question it, is that mushrooms don’t take very long to cook, so when you slow cook them, you can run the risk of them being OVERcooked, and mushy.  No one likes that!  The secret here is to use whole mushrooms, so they take a little longer, and to only cook them for about 3 hours.  Maybe 4 hours if you have some seriously jumbo mushrooms.

HOW DO YOU MAKE CROCKPOT MUSHROOMS?

Basically you want 3 elements; the mushrooms themselves, some sort of fat or liquid, and seasoning.  For this mushroom recipe, I use the following:

1. Whole button mushrooms
  2. Butter
  3. Ranch dressing packet

PRO TIPS FOR CROCKPOT MUSHROOMS:

• If the mushroom stems are longer than you’d like, go ahead and give them a chop.  I don’t mind a little stem, but more than and inch or so, and I chop part of the stem off.
  • As you’re stirring the butter mixture around with the mushrooms, it will look like there’s not enough to coat them all.  That’s completely okay.  The mushrooms give off a LOT of liquid as they cook, and it all mixes together.
  • If you’re not a fan of ranch dressing, don’t worry, zesty Italian dressing mix will work just as well.
  • Not a fan of ranch dressing packets?  Feel free to use your own homemade recipe. 
  • If you’d like to cut back a little on the butter here, drizzle in some olive oil to replace some of it.

WHAT TO SERVE WITH CROCKPOT RANCH MUSHROOMS?

Steak

Chicken tenders, rotisserie chicken

Meatloaf

Don't forget the baguette or other crusty 🥖 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

Re: Buttery Crockpot Ranch Mushrooms

@Chi-town girl  This sounds good.  I'd like to give it a try.  Mushrooms are so good for you.  The only way i eat them is sliced in salads.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting.  We love mushrooms.  My grocery store has the most beautiful mushrooms in stock.  I normally buy a few packages whenever I shop and I am always looking for a new way to prepare them.

Pennsylvania is the mushroom capital of the US.

Respected Contributor

Going to make this with Prime rib New Years. Thank you 😊 

Honored Contributor

I found another recipe version that includes parm cheese. This recipe also provides the suggested ingredients quantities. 

CROCKPOT PARMESAN RANCH MUSHROOMS

READY IN: 4hrs 5mins
SERVES: 4

INGREDIENTS
  • (8 ounce) fresh whole mushrooms 
  • 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
  • ounce ranch dressing mix (hidden valley, 1 package)
  • tablespoons parmesan cheese, or as much as desired

DIRECTIONS
    • Put the mushrooms in the crockpot.
    • Melt butter in a bowl and add the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Package.
    • Mix well and pour over mushrooms in the Crockpot.
    • Sprinkle with about two teaspoons of Parmesan Cheese or more to your liking.
    • Cook in crockpot at low for 4 hours.
    • It gives a delicious side dishes or topping for a steak

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Sounds delicious....will serve with jasmine rice.

Honored Contributor

That would be terrific with steak and long grained rice. 

Honored Contributor

I'm glad to see posters giving this a go - I wish I had remembered it for our 'steak nights this past year! It's a good side even during summer bc the crock pot doesn't heat up the house and it's such an easy recipe

Enjoy, Bon appétit 🍽

Happy New Year 🍾🥂to our terrific group of Q forum foodies 💗

Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl Just put these in the crockpot, Thank you! I didn't have ranch packets on hand so I used Good Season Italian packets and doubled the recipe. 

Happy New Year to all!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:

@Chi-town girl Just put these in the crockpot, Thank you! I didn't have ranch packets on hand so I used Good Season Italian packets and doubled the recipe. 

Happy New Year to all!

@kathie66 - hope you love it! I haven't tried it with the Italian seasonings, so please give us a review. 

Happy New Year!