Occasional Contributor

How much milk should you use to make the jello pudding ..not instant..when using it for pie filling?  Recipes on google all use instant pudding and mix cool whip into it.  I remember my mother making butterscotch pie using the regular jello pudding, but can't remember exact directions re the milk.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Butterscotch pie question

I've never used pudding in my filling.  This is my mother's very delicious recipe.  It does require you to stand at the stove to stir while cooking:

3/4 cup brown sugar

4 tbsp cornstarch

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups milk

2 beaten egg yolks

1 tbsp butter

1 tsp vanilla

9" baked pie shell

Stir brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk in saucepan over medium heat until thickened.  Stir in egg yolks until thickened.  

Take off heat and stir in butter and vanilla.  Pour into baked crust and bake at 400 degrees until brown, about 5 minutes.

Valued Contributor

@Cavime 

Ingredients

1 Jello Butterscotch (Cook and Serve) Pudding Pie Mix
2 cups low fat milk
1 9" Graham Cracker Crust

Directions

Add 2c milk to a 2 qt pan. Then add Jello Pudding Pie mix. Stir until pudding mix is dissolved and then cook on med-high to a full rolling boil. Stir very frequently while heating. After it comes to a full boil, remove from heat. Let cool for a min or two, stirring occasionally. Then pour in to a 9" graham cracker crust. Cover with plastic lid and place in refrigerator for 3 hours or until set. Cut into 8 serving pieces.
Honored Contributor

@Cavime  I always use the same amount of heavy cream as the box indicates for milk to make boxed pudding for pies.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  Wow that sounds so good! I love anything butterscotch. Saving this one! Thanks. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I have begun using evaporated milk when I'm "cooking" with milk.  It seems to make everything just a little bit richer.  It makes delicious pudding!