Honored Contributor

@Susan-QVC wrote:

My grandparents use to have a snack after dinner, cornbread crumbled in a glass of buttermilk. I never was brave enough to try that but they sure seemed to enjoy it!!

Susan Q-Social

@Susan-QVC

My parents and grandparents did too, we must be related;

I 'make' buttermilk when needed for a recipe, but other than that, I'm not drinkin' anything 'chunky' that smells like that!

Not for 'the one above', love or money!

ETA: I felt the same way while watchin' them slurp down raw oysters.....that ain't happenin'!

I like oysters as long as they're cooked, but raw.....no way!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@Susan-QVC Nothing better than cornbread and buttermilk. I so wish I could still have it, but mean ole doctor says no. lol

Contributor

My grandmother mixed  buttermilk with canned chopped pineapple and put the mixture in a cold metal loaf pan and placed it in the freezer. She would stir the mixture several times as it began to freeze. Once frozen, all the grandkids loved eating it as a dessert.  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Susan-QVC wrote:

My grandparents use to have a snack after dinner, cornbread crumbled in a glass of buttermilk. I never was brave enough to try that but they sure seemed to enjoy it!!

Susan Q-Social

@Susan-QVC

My parents and grandparents did too, we must be related;

I 'make' buttermilk when needed for a recipe, but other than that, I'm not drinkin' anything 'chunky' that smells like that!

Not for 'the one above', love or money!

ETA: I felt the same way while watchin' them slurp down raw oysters.....that ain't happenin'!

I like oysters as long as they're cooked, but raw.....no way!

@KingstonsMom  It's not chunky, it's made from skim milk and has the same calories.  I've always liked it but not with crumbled cornbread.  That's a "Southern" thing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I make a delicious Banana cake using Buttermilk, and then of course pancakes & waffles a couple fruit/cool whip salads that call for Buttermilk, Buttermilk Fried Chicken, the list goes on.

I don't know if I could drink it though, BUT then again I have never tried it!

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

...   with crumbled cornbread.  That's a "Southern" thing. 

Being a Southerner, where buttermilk is a beverage as well as an ingredient, I've always found it a little hard to understand how people who embrace yogurt and love sour cream and enjoy a variety of cheeses somehow balk at buttermilk.  Maybe there's an impression that if it's still a liquid, it's not quite "done" yet ?????  {{ SMILES }}

Esteemed Contributor
I love buttermilk as a beverage!
My mom turned up her nose to it, but my dad drank it regularly.
I usually buy 2 half-gallons at a time, and favor Kemp's (brand) for best taste and texture.

It is the absolutely best treatment for upset or sour stomach. Soothes my stomach. Works well taken with meds that cause stomach issues. Works better than Pepto!

It's my understanding dairy has either a 'Best by' or a 'Sell by' date (NOT a 'Use by') and has to be good for one week past that stamped date.
Respected Contributor

buttermilk pie is so good.

I use it for baking, marinating, and have even enjoyed a buttermilk shake. This is what some call the cornbread mixed with the buttermilk .

doxie

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge  Thanks for the tip about buttermilk as a stomach soother.  I'll keep that in mind.

Also, @doxie1  I like the term "buttermilk shake" -- never heard that before.  Someone who used to post on the old Recipe Swap said her family ate their cornbread-in-buttermilk hot, like a soup.

Trusted Contributor

Since I use only for baking, I wish I could find in a pint size. Has anyone tried any of the powdered buttermilks for baking?