Honored Contributor

Re: Butter cookie fail today!

@gizmogal. @Carmie.   Her recipe didn't call for baking powder.   That recipe has an awful lot of fat for a fairly small amount of flour.  It does say to chill the dough and roll out the dough and cut out shapes.  I think her dough was too warm.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gizmogal. @Carmie.   Her recipe didn't call for baking powder.   That recipe has an awful lot of fat for a fairly small amount of flour.  It does say to chill the dough and roll out the dough and cut out shapes.  I think her dough was too warm.

Huh?  The OP mentioned baking powder as an ingredient.

I do agree that cookie dough should be chilled first.  She mentioned that she rolled the dough into balls.  I don't see where she cut out shapes.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The recipe cited in detail is not the cookie from the original poster. The recipe cited doesn’t include baking powder. But the first post of the thread describes her use of baking powder. These are two separate posts from different people. Original post mentions baking powder. Listed ingredients is  in a completely different cookie recipe 

Before you correct others, read correctly and comment in context. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes your brand of butter has too much water in it.

Sometimes it's the flour.

I have posted before that using King Arthur All Purpose flour instead of my usual Gold Medal AP flour made all of my cookies and cakes that I had been making for decades fail.

I use King Arthur for muffins and breads, but Gold Medal for the delicates.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

did it call for 'softened butter' and you melted it in microwave?

Use the correct amount of flour ?

If it said 'refrigerate dough' and didn't

I have to make sure I refrigerate Mexican wedding cakes sometimes called

Russian tea cakes (same thing) sometimes called 'Snowballs'.

Respected Contributor

I had the exact same experience this year.  I was careful to chill the dough and still zero success.  I had to throw the dough out - total bummer!

Super Contributor

That happened to me with press cookies last year.  They would not come out of the press. And then the metal broke.  Did not attempt them this year.

Honored Contributor

Butter Cookies

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 cookie sheets.
  2. In a large bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed, mix butter, sugar and vanilla just until blended.
  3. Add the egg and mix well.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix at low speed until well combined.
  5. Shape the dough into 3/4-inch balls. Arrange the balls 2-inches apart on the cookie sheets. Flatten each ball with a fork as you would a peanut butter cookie. Do this one time. To prevent the fork from sticking to the cookie dough;, dip it occasionally in confectioners' sugar. Sprinkle tops of the cookies with colored sanding sugar.
  6. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly colored around the edges. Let cookies cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Could your butter have been too soft.  Sometimes putting the cookie dough into the fridge for a while before baking helps.  

My cookies have been too flat when my dough was too warm, and my pans were too warm too, when I didn't wait for them to cool down enough between bakings.

I also would use margarine instead of butter when baking, because that's what my Mom used to do, and then I learned that using butter is better when baking. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

did it call for 'softened butter' and you melted it in microwave?

Use the correct amount of flour ?

If it said 'refrigerate dough' and didn't

I have to make sure I refrigerate Mexican wedding cakes sometimes called

Russian tea cakes (same thing) sometimes called 'Snowballs'.

@SharkE

When you have time would you please share MEXICAN WEDDING CAKE Recipe?

@shy bobcat   I had the same fail with Mandel Bread last week.  😞 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras