Honored Contributor

I have a recipe that indicates using some brown rice syrup. I don't have any; never heard of it before. My regular grocery store didn't even know it existed. 

Does anyone know what would be a good substitute, or perhaps a reason why I should substitute? I see Amazon carries it, so I could probably get it to my place in a couple of days,

Honored Contributor

I am guessing here but it seems like a good substitute would be corn syrup.

Honored Contributor

Re: Brown Rice Syrup

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler

Found this info online.

Brown Rice Syrup

Brown Rice Syrup is an amber-coloured syrup with a slight butterscotch flavour, made from rice.

It has about half the sweetness of white sugar (sucrose) and one-third the sweetness of honey.

The rice is cooked, fermented with enzymes to free up the starches, then strained and the liquid is simmered until thick. Some brands add some barley malt syrup.

The syrup is also sold in a powder form, that dissolves easily in water.

Using it in baked goods tends to make them hard or crisp.

Substitutes

For each part Brown Rice Syrup called for,

substitute 1/2 part molasses

or 3/4 part Barley Malt Syrup

or 3/4 part honey

or 3/4 part maple syrup.

You can swap Brown Rice Syrup into a recipe replacing white sugar: for each part white sugar called for, swap in 1 1/3 parts Brown Rice Syrup.

For every 5 oz (150ml) of Brown Rice Syrup you swap in, reduce other liquid in the recipe by 2 tablespoons.

Nutrition

Brown Rice Syrup is about 45% maltose, 3% glucose, with the remainder being largely complex carbohydrates. It contains only trace amounts of minerals and vitamins.

It is absorbed slowly by the body.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler   What kind of recipe is it?  A dessert, main course?  

I would suggest agave nectar as a substitute or maybe honey or corn syrup.  

Do you have a Whole Foods or similar store nearby?  That would be a likely source.  H T H

Esteemed Contributor

I have never seen it a Whole Foods.  Sounds like milder, sort like rice vinegar is milder.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would replace the brown rice syrup with corn syrup.  My local grocery sells Lundberg brown rice syrup.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. Sounds like I could get by with any number of substitutes you listed. @Nightowlz thanks for taking the time to go online for me. I should have thought of that! ha! It's just that if I have question, the forum always comes thru with answers, sometimes multiple answer. It's great!

It is for a granola bar recipe that will have oatmeal in it.

I really appreciate the time you all took to respond and I think I will be good to go now! Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used brown rice syrup and think an acceptable sub would be maple syrup.  I don't consume corn syrup. Maple syrup would be a great sub in granola bars.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Just a quick followup to my question about brown rice syrup.

When I was talking with a friend about going grocery shopping at a different place this weekend, she asked why, and I said I was going to give another try at getting brown rice syrup for a recipe. She said "STOP! I have brown rice syrup. How much do you need?" So, for now, that took care of it and I made the granola bars this morning and they were delicious!

As for those of you who suggested maple syrup as a substitute, I re-read my recipe before going at it in the kitchen this morning, and in addition to the brown rice syrup, it also called for maple syrup, which I already had on hand. So, in this particular recipe, using maple syrup as a substitute wouldn't have worked. They evidently are both needed to get the desired result.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions. You were so helpful!

Trusted Contributor

My Whole Foods store carry it.  I have a few recipes that call for it as well.  But I would use one of the substitions mentioned if this is just a one off recipe with it.

Lundberg Family Farms Sweet Dreams Organic Brown Rice Syrup