Honored Contributor

Do you use agave? What do you think of the taste?

What do you think of agave in recipes? How’s the taste and viscosity? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you use agave? What do you think of the taste?

[ Edited ]

I favor agave over any other sweetener.  I put it in my oatmeal and yogurt and love it. . I think it has the perfect consistency- not too thick or thin and it leaves no aftertaste.  Delicious and you can get a good deal on 2 large bottles at Costco.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D, @Carol Diane  I agree with Ms CR here. DH uses agave every morning in his coffee. We've stopped using white sugar YEARS ago,  not even in the house. Instead if we need sugar for baking let's say we use turbinado or raw sugar.

Agave is sweeter so you don't need but a couple of drops. Not all agave is made the same either, some is very loose/watery almost. You'll probably try a few before you land on a fav. We buy our's from our local Aldi's to be the best.

Honored Contributor

Its also used to make tequilla so it cant be all bad.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I used it for years and really, to me, it is not sweeter than sugar so I used more of it. Honey is sweeter to me. I prob baked with it but don't remember how things turned out---it pours  and is a 1 to 1 ratio with other liquid stuff. I used it on oatmeal. toast, biscuits and it was fine. 

Honored Contributor

I use light agave as a sweetener in tea.  Tried it as a substitute for honey in a cornbread recipe, but didn't like the flavor.  I found a sample of the amber agave to have a bitter taste.  

Honored Contributor

I use it in margaritas and like it. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I use light agave as a sweetener in tea.  Tried it as a substitute for honey in a cornbread recipe, but didn't like the flavor.  I found a sample of the amber agave to have a bitter taste.  

I wonder if all the amber agave is bitter. Could the bitterness just be a brand thing? 

Trusted Contributor

I use it for my iced tea. Love the flavor. I've tried all types of agave and have never tasted a bitter one. Was surprised to see someone had  that experience. I don't use it for health reasons. I think it's just about the same as any sugar. When it first came out, all the world was saying it was lower on the glycemic scale. That turned out not to be true, but I like it anyway. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I use Wholesome Food Agave.  To me it has a consistency like honey and a similar flavor.  It's great in hot tea with lemon.  I also use it to sweeten home made salad dressings.