Valued Contributor

brioche2

Brioche
(recipe source: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes & A Tartine Gourmande)

Ok, making bread kinda scares me but I really wanted to give this one a try since the picture looked AHH-mazing! First of all the house smelled heavenly and the bread was really good. It was SO easy! I've never made brioche before and I have to say I was pretty proud of myself...lol I'll definitely be making this one for Thanksgiving.

3/4 c. lukewarm water
2 1/4 tsp. yeast (1 pkg.)
2 tsp. salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 c. honey
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
3 and 3/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
extra flour for work surface & handling
egg wash for brushing on top

1. mix the yeast, salt, eggs, honey, and melted butter with the water in a large bowl.
2. mix in the flour, using a spoon, until all the flour is incorporated. dough will be very loose and wet.
3. cover and allow to sit at room temp for 2 hours. after 2 hours, transfer to fridge to chill for 30 min. to 1 hour. (keep covered) it's easier to work with after it's been chilled.
4. remove from fridge, and dump dough onto a well-floured surface, working flour into the dough until it's easy to handle, and making 8 equal-sized balls.
5. place 4 dough balls into 2 greased loaf pans or make into traditional style brioche rolls and let rest for 1 hour and 20 min. (i watched this cute li'l video to learn how to shape my rolls.)
7. preheat oven to 400 degrees. brush dough with egg wash. Place pans in oven to bake for 10 minutes, then reduce to 350 degrees and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes.

**Please try to eat it hot out of the oven and be sure to make french toast for breakfast the next day!