Super Contributor

Breakfast Casserole (make ahead) Recipe Request

Does anyone have a make the day ahead breakfast casserole, something with eggs, sausage, cheese  that would work for a brunch? I see lots of recipes but would like some tried and true, crowd pleaser recipes that you have had success with. Any feedback would be appreciated! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Breakfast Casserole (make ahead) Recipe Request

@Summer Shine  I have a tried-and-true recipe that you can fix the night before and pop into the oven the next day.  It has never failed and is very good and even good the next day.

Got it from my MIL who fixed it every Christmas morning.

Breakfast Souffle

1 lb bulk sausage (cook, crumble and drain well)

Mix together:

12 beaten eggs

4 cups milk (almond milk works good too / I use 3.5 cups almond milk and 1/2 cup water if not using cow milk)

2 teaspoon dry mustard

4 slices bread - crumbled into small pieces

1 teaspoon salt

9 oz. package sharp cheddar cheese - grated

splash of Tabasco or Worcestershire sauce as desired

Add cooked sausage to this mixture and pour into greased 9x13 pan.

Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until center is barely set (check with knife - if comes out clean then it's done - like you check a pumpkin pie)

Optional - sprinkle with paprika and add diced green chilies 

She served it with cooked cheesy potatoes and fresh fruit....yum!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Summer Shine   Mine is like this only it has diced ham and a little more bread in it--you put it together and put in the fridge overnight.  I also add sliced mushrooms too sometimes.

I don't like ones with sausage because it is too greasy.   I have served it with slices of ham on the side in case some wanted meat and some not. 

Valued Contributor

Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole

10-12 servings country style hashbrowns

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (i use pepper jack)

1 cup cooked diced ham (or sausage)

2 scallions, thinly sliced

7 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp pepper

1.  preheat oven 350 degrees.

2.  spray 10x14 baking dish with cooking spray.  place hash browns in single layer.

3.  sprinkle with cheeses and ham.  

4.  in a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper until well combined.  pour over hashbrowns.  sprinkle with onion.

5.  cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  uncover and cook 15 minutes longer until edges are golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.

you can assemble in the evening, refrigerate and bake in the morning.

serve in squares with salsa.

Honored Contributor

I like any breakfast casserole or strata. My DH likes the ones with hash browns in the mix because they are more moist. No matter what the recipe calls for, I add chopped onions and mushrooms. Don't rule out things like green peppers and broccoli. Vegetables are a great breakfast food.

Honored Contributor

1 lb breakfast sausage

1 cup diced bell peppers

1/2 cup diced onions

8 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 tsp salt

24 oz (about 6 cups) frozen tater tots

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

Saute sausage until browned, and peppers and onions until softened.  Drain grease.

Whisk eggs, milk, sour cream, and salt until smooth.

Lay tater tots in single layer in greased 9x13" baking pan.  Sprinkle sausage over tater tots.  Sprinkle vegetables over sausage.  Sprinkle cheese over vegetables.  Pour egg mixture over top of cheese.  

Cover pan with greased foil and refrigerate overnight.

Bake covered in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Uncover and bake until golden and bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntGLove your additions/substitutions  - makes me feel as if I can indulge a bit more in the casserole -   sort of like adding more carrot, onion, and zucchini to my latkes.  I know they're still not every day food for me, but that's food I do like.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Summer Shine  I have a tried-and-true recipe that you can fix the night before and pop into the oven the next day.  It has never failed and is very good and even good the next day.

Got it from my MIL who fixed it every Christmas morning.

Breakfast Souffle

1 lb bulk sausage (cook, crumble and drain well)

Mix together:

12 beaten eggs

4 cups milk (almond milk works good too / I use 3.5 cups almond milk and 1/2 cup water if not using cow milk)

2 teaspoon dry mustard

4 slices bread - crumbled into small pieces

1 teaspoon salt

9 oz. package sharp cheddar cheese - grated

splash of Tabasco or Worcestershire sauce as desired

Add cooked sausage to this mixture and pour into greased 9x13 pan.

Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until center is barely set (check with knife - if comes out clean then it's done - like you check a pumpkin pie)

Optional - sprinkle with paprika and add diced green chilies 

She served it with cooked cheesy potatoes and fresh fruit....yum!

This is basically the one that hubby does for Christmas morning or whenever we do brunch.  My mom and my grandmother made a version of this too,

Esteemed Contributor

@Summer Shine  I make a vegetable and cheese strata every Christmas for after the presents are opened. You make it the day before, and it can be baking while tyou are doing the presents. You can add sausage or bacon, but I don't think they add anything to this:

Vegetable and Cheese Strata

Ingredients:

1 cup onion – diced
3/4 cup scallion - sliced
1/2 lb. sliced white mushrooms
2 red peppers – diced
1 green pepper - diced
2 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar (about 8-10 ounces)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
10 eggs - well beaten
3 cups milk
2 Tblsp. Mustard
1 loaf of Italian bread from supermarket bakery (about 1 lb.) - cut into cubes
3 Tblsp. olive oil
Tabasco to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large skillet cook the onion, the scallion, and the mushrooms in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the bell peppers and salt and pepper to taste, and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until all the liquid the mushrooms gives off is evaporated and the peppers are tender. Arrange half the bread cubes in a buttered large shallow (4 1/2-quart) baking dish, spread half the vegetable mixture over them, and sprinkle half the Cheddar and half the Parmesan over the vegetables. Arrange the remaining bread cubes over the cheese, top them with the remaining vegetables, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, the milk, the mustard, the Tabasco, and salt & pepper to taste, Remember that the cheese has salt in it, so go easy on the salt. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the strata, and chill the strata, covered, overnight. Let the strata stand at room temperature for 15 minutes and bake it, uncovered, in the middle of a preheated 350 F oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is puffed and golden and cooked through .You may want to put a shallow pan or tin foil under the casserole to catch the spillage. If the top gets too dark, just cover it lightly with foil. Note: You could also add cooked Italian sausage to this recipe. Make sure you render all the fat when you fry it up. Bacon works too.

Super Contributor

Thank you for all the replies, which to choose?!? The recipes and suggestions for additions all sound great. Thank you so much.