Contributor

I bought the Cook's Essentials BreadMaker and went right to work making different recipes from the book that came with it.  The first problem I encountered was trying to find dry powdered milk during the quarantine. Secondly, bread flour needed to be found. 
I eventually found the flour but was still held up by the dry milk.  So I googled it and found the answer--use regular milk for 1/2 the total volume of water called for and scald the milk first, then let it cool to room temp.  My first white loaf turned out perfectly!

on to the raisin bread....instructions say to set it for raisin/nut bread setting and add the raisins when the machine beeps and tells you to.  I did that, but they went straight to the bottom of the pan. I mean, is that little mixing paddle really supposed to distribute a cup full of raisins? So the raisins were all in one lumped area on the bottom of the loaf.

ANYONE HAVE A REMEDY FOR THIS TO DISTRIBUTE THE RAISINS THROUGHOUT?

Honored Contributor

powdered milk can be found in a grocery store. it is ahot commodity right now. I was able to find a couple of boxes when I asked one of the clerks at the customer service desk, it was hidden  away in a corner.

Honored Contributor

when I was making my own bread I would fold in the raisins at the end of the cycle. otherwise they would mush and break open. it is a delicate item to work into a bread.,

Respected Contributor

@QVCrocks! wrote:

I bought the Cook's Essentials BreadMaker and went right to work making different recipes from the book that came with it.  The first problem I encountered was trying to find dry powdered milk during the quarantine. Secondly, bread flour needed to be found. 
I eventually found the flour but was still held up by the dry milk.  So I googled it and found the answer--use regular milk for 1/2 the total volume of water called for and scald the milk first, then let it cool to room temp.  My first white loaf turned out perfectly!

on to the raisin bread....instructions say to set it for raisin/nut bread setting and add the raisins when the machine beeps and tells you to.  I did that, but they went straight to the bottom of the pan. I mean, is that little mixing paddle really supposed to distribute a cup full of raisins? So the raisins were all in one lumped area on the bottom of the loaf.

ANYONE HAVE A REMEDY FOR THIS TO DISTRIBUTE THE RAISINS THROUGHOUT?

Try tossing the raisins in flour before adding. When I make blueberrie muffins I toss the blueberries with some flour which keeps them from sinking to the bottom. Hopefully it will work for you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bread Machine Question

[ Edited ]

@QVCrocks!  As another poster said, try tossing the raisins in a little  flour before adding to the machine.  I always do this when adding raisins, choc. chips, etc. to any bread or cake.  Keeps them suspended much better.