Respected Contributor

Boston Butt cooked in the oven

How do you do yours? What temperature to set the oven? What internal temperature do you cook it to?
Respected Contributor

Re: Boston Butt cooked in the oven

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc wrote:
How do you do yours? What temperature to set the oven? What internal temperature do you cook it to?

@BarbarainncIf you want to use traditional seasonings instead of the Cajun, it works just fine

Roast Pork with Garlic Onion Gravy Southern Living Nov.2008

Cook the roast to 180° to 185° for incredibly tender but sliceable meat, making a pretty holiday presentation. Pableaux likes to cook the roast an hour or so longer (to about 190°) for meat that falls apart.

Yield Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

1 (5- to 6-lb.) bone-in pork shoulder roast

10 garlic cloves, halved

Kitchen string

5 teaspoons Cajun seasoning

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 medium onions, halved and sliced

3 celery ribs, chopped

1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

5 tablespoons cold water

Garnishes: red grapes, sliced pears, collard green leaves, persimmons

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Make 20 small, deep cuts in roast, and insert garlic pieces. Tie roast with kitchen string, securing at 2-inch intervals. Rub Cajun seasoning onto roast.

2. Cook roast in hot oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat 2 minutes on all sides or until browned. Remove from skillet.Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and celery to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, 5 to 8 minutes or until tender.

Place onion mixture in a roasting pan; top with roast.

Add broth to pan. Cover loosely with heavy-duty aluminum foil. (I cooked this in a Le Creuset roaster and used the heavy lid)

3. Bake at 325° for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 180° to 185°.

Remove roast from pan; cover with foil, and let stand 20 minutes before slicing.

4. Pour pan drippings through a wire-mesh strainer into a measuring cup to equal 2 cups, adding additional broth or water, if necessary. Discard solids.

5. Whisk together 3 Tbsp. flour and 5 Tbsp. cold water in a medium saucepan. Whisk in pan drippings. Cook, whisking often, over medium-high heat 6 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pork.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc , just look for recipes for roasted pork shoulder, as a Boston butt is a very similar cut.

IMO, pork shoulders or butts are one of today's most under-used meat ever, as they've been relegated to pulled pork, carnitas, etc.

But they are truly the stars of a special Sunday roast pork dinner.

You cannot go wrong!

Not only are they affordable, but they're also the only succulent, juicy pork left these days - ever since the fat was bred out of pork, turning into the bone-dry "other white meat".

Some recipes call for very low/slow cooking at 275, but I'm like @tiny 2 , and shoot for 325.

I've found that a roast sometimes needs a longer cooking time. 

They're WONDERFUL with plain old salt & pepper for seasonings, and especially if you add sweet potatoes, carrots and onions part way through.

My mom used to cut thick slices of onions, rub them with shortening, and toothpick them to the roast before cooking. Yummy!

Good luck!

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

I use a recipe for a porchetta pork roast and then I add ground fennel.  I roast in the over at about 325 degrees for several hours depending on the size. I check the temp with a meat thermometer for doneness. 

Honored Contributor

I perfer a slow cooker

Rub it well with your favorite seasonings, no water.

Low temp

Honored Contributor

Pork is almost always roasted at 325 according to Betty Crocker.  

I did a delicious Boston Butt once by inserting bay leaves, and rubbing with garlic.

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2  Fixed a roast like your recipe last evening and it was tender, juicy and delicious.  Thanks for the info!