Honored Contributor

We were in Tennessee this weekend and were served 'biscuits' with our dinner meal at a steak house.   Oh my they were good. They were small and did not look like they were rolled out style biscuits but possibly dropped, as they were misshapen and different sizes, not did they look like they raised while baked, that is why I think they were a drop style.

They had a subtle sweet flavor, but not really sweet, they sure did not need butter but they were really good.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

Trusted Contributor

Image result for red lobster biscuit mix

These are the best biscuit"s Ive ever had Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

No, but I used to have a recipe for a biscuit dough that you could keep refrigerated up to 2 weeks and they were made with yeast.  I think they were called "Angel biscuits" or something like that.  There's probably a recipe online somewhere.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Biscuits....

[ Edited ]

Texas Roadhouse which is a steak house brings them to the table when they seat you. They serve them with cinnamon sugar butter. Delicious and they are a small pulled roll that you just pinch off the dough and sort of tuck them into themselves. They rise and are fabulous! The dough is sweet. Of course these are not a biscuit.

Honored Contributor

@deb5555....the biscuits were 'similar' to Red Lobster but smaller and smoother.  

No garlic, no cheese, just that slight hint of sweet but not a sugar sweet.  I wish I was one of those people that could taste something and figure out the ingredients.

Honored Contributor

Here You Go.....Note the sugar.  I bet this is what you ate.

Trisha Yearwood's Angel Biscuits

Total:
2 hr 5 min
Active:
40 min

Yield:
8 to 12 biscuits

Level:
Intermediate

Ingredients

5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup warm (90 to 110 degrees F) water
1/2 ounce (2 packages) active dry yeast
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, cold, cut into small squares, plus 4 tablespoons, melted
2 cups buttermilk

Add Checked Items to Grocery List
Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 3 tablespoons of the sugar.

In a small bowl, combine the warm water with the yeast and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; stir until the yeast is dissolved. Let stand until bubbles appear, 2 to 3 minutes.

Using your hands, mix the 1 cup cold butter into the flour, breaking the butter into small pebbles, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and the yeast mixture. Gently fold the flour into the wet ingredients. Keep mixing until a ball starts to form, then gently knead, 12 to 15 times, to create a smooth dough. Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for approximately 1 hour.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and press out to 1- to 1 1/2-inches thick. Fold the dough in half, press again to 1- to 1 1/2-inches thick, and then fold again. Cut the dough using a 2- to 3-inch round biscuit cutter, depending personal preference. Brush the bottom of a cast-iron skillet with some of the melted butter. Place the biscuits in the skillet; brush the tops with melted butter.

Bake until golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes, depending on size.
IDEAS YOU'LL LOVE
Trisha Yearwood's Top Recipes 59 Photos
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Trisha Yearwood
Trisha Yearwood Bio
Trisha Yearwood Video Gallery
Star Kitchen: Trisha Yearwood 6 Photos
Trisha Yearwood's Holiday Classics 5 Photos
Trisha Yearwood's Kale Soup (03:54)
Angel Biscuits
Recipe courtesy of Nathalie Dupree
Trisha Yearwood Coming to Food Network
29 Reviews, 10 Comments

Your Rating:
Sort by
Emily M.18 days ago
These biscuits are truly delicious, and due to the addition of yeast they are the perfect cross between a biscuit and roll. The first day I cooked one skillet full and stored the remaining dough in the fridge. A couple days later I cooked another batch which was better than the first. Then, over one week later, I baked the remaining dough... and oh my goodness— the third batch was by far the best! In the future I will mix up the dough several days ahead so that they can fully develop the heavenly texture. You’ve gotta try this one! Thanks Trisha

+1
Comment

Anonymous20 days ago
I am always nervous when I use yeast, it’s like hit or miss, but these are delicious. Try it. Use a very large cast iron pan. It doesn’t stipulate the size in the recipe. Trisha is so relatable even though she’s famous. She emulates that in her recipes. Put more of her shows on Food Network. Her sister and nephews are entertaining and sweet. Go Tricia!

Comment

squeezles97 days ago
I made these biscuits yesterday, for the kind neighbours who voluntarily shovel the snow from my driveway. I have been baking for over 40 years and this is undoubtedly the BEST biscuit recipe that I have come across. These Angel Biscuits are my newest “ keeper” recipe.
They are AMAZING! Thank you Trisha! And my neighbours thank you too!!

+2
Comment

talon8698 days ago
The best biscuits I’ve ever made or eaten. These are simply amazing. They rise almost out of the pan. Trisha does at least one other thing as well as she sings. I’m sure there are many others also.

+1
Comment

cabranca113 days ago
Love this recipe. They came out great. The first time I tried them thank you

Comment

Amazu167 days ago
I tried these tonight, we just loved them.This is a really good biscuit recipe, def a keeper! Thank you so much Tricia Smiley Very Happy

Comment

Anonymous209 days ago
This is a really good biscuit dough recipe. I made the whole recipe and I think with dough you have to use the exact amount of ingredients or it won’t turn out right. I used my cast iron skillet like Trisha did. Thanks for another great recipe, Trisha!

+2
Comment

Ann S.214 days ago
Just tried these today. Followed recipe exactly. Made 18 after reshaping dough. Cooked 6 and froze 12. Brushed the 6 I baked with honey butter after they are cooked. Best biscuits I've had. Will definitely make these again. Anxious to see how the 12 frozen ones turn out. Thanks, Trisha for a great recipe.

+2
Comment

StacyKY224 days ago
LOVE these biscuits, but I'm a rookie and need help making them on my own: I've tried a few times and they seem to turn out ok, but I'm finding that I have to use A LOT more flour when mixing/kneading than the recipe calls for or I just end up with very sticky dough caked all over my hands. What am I doing wrong?

+1
Comment

Lisa D.291 days ago
Light and fluffy, delicate and perfect with the Hot Chicken recipe! Made sausage gravy to go with! BTW, I read the reviews prior to cooking and added a bit more salt. Perfect! Definitely will make this again!!! Yes, it does make a lot, so I put in fridge for the morning

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I added the butter to the recipe because that's what DH uses instead of Crisco.

White Lily Drop Biscuits

• Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
  • 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
  • 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening or butter, cubed
  • 2/3 to 3/4 cups milk or buttermilk, plus additional as needed

HEAT oven to 500°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.

MEASURE flour into large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas.

BLEND in just enough milk with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl. If needed, add more milk to form soft dough. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.

BAKE 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cooled biscuits can be frozen up to one month in plastic food storage bags. Reheat by placing in oven 5 to 10 minutes at 350°F or microwave about 1 minute.

Baking Tips:

Roll biscuit dough to about 1/2-inch thickness to ensure good height. Cut biscuits with a sharp-edged cutter, straight down, without twisting the cutter.

When making biscuits, pack vegetable shortening into a measuring cup so there are no air pockets. Cut it into the flour with a pastry blender, 2 knives, or a fork.

White Lily Drop Biscuits.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Sounds like plain old drop biscuits to me.  And they DO raise while in the oven. I prefer rolled biscuits but a lot of people love these and the are easier to make.

Look for drop biscuits from any of the known Southern cooks around:  Nathalie Dupree, Paula Deen, Emeril, Trisha.  But do look for drop biscuits.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp sugar

1 cup chilled buttermilk

8 tbsp (1 stick) melted butter

Whisk flour, baking soda and powder, and sugar together in big bowl.  Stir buttermilk and melted butter together in separate bowl until butter forms clumps.  Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until JUST mixed (do not overstir).  

Using greased 1/4-cup measuring cup, drop level scoops of batter 1 1/2" apart onto parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake at 475 degrees for 12-14 minutes until tops are golden brown.  Rotate baking sheet halfway through bakiing.  I like to brush them with 2 tbsp melted butter right after they come out of the oven, then cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.  

Esteemed Contributor

Every Southern cook makes her 'own' biscuits.  They can vary from high and fluffy to thin and crispy and from buttermilk tangy to sweet!