Respected Contributor

Re: Best Dish 🥗🍗🥩🧇🍜🍝

@godi wrote:

My crockpot Sante Fe chicken. So easy and so good. The next day I wrap the leftovers in wraps slather on enchilada sauce and shredded cheese and bake. Just scrumptious. 😋 

As mentioned below, if this isn't a secret family recipe, I'd love if you could share!

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

My crockpot Sante Fe chicken. So easy and so good. The next day I wrap the leftovers in wraps slather on enchilada sauce and shredded cheese and bake. Just scrumptious. 😋 

-------------

Would you post your recipe??   I like anything easy and 'crockpot'!!!!  Thanks...

Respected Contributor

Probably our favorite is Antipasto Pasta Salad from allrecipes.

Somewhat time consuming with all the chopping of ingredients, but we eat it for several days because it keeps well. Have made some tweaks for our tastes:

Omit pepperoni & double salami

Sub halved grape tomatoes for whole chopped tomatoes

Omit red bell pepper

Add a bit of sweet onion

Cut olive oil down, add a bit more vinegar to make 1 cup total (again, our preference).

Denise
Honored Contributor

Chicken and dumplings. I get this request often. 

Respected Contributor

I love to feed people! It's in my DNA.

Anyhow, this'll sound odd, but of all the things I make, this is what everyone loves - and it's only a pot of soup.

FYI: I can change it up, and make a seafood soup using the exact same recipe with only a few differences.

Clam juice subs for chicken stock, a healthy gurgle & glug of white wine is added, and a large can of tomato puree subs for the crushed ones, 2#s of large hunks of cod is added at the end to sub for sausage.

Both are divine with good bread.

Don't be afraid of using the fennel. No one will know it's in there, they'll just know it's delish.

Once everything is prepped, the soup will be done in an hour.

I really hope you'll try it.

Fennel and Sausage Minestrone Soup
Very loosely adapted from a Dean & Deluca recipe

INGREDIENTS:

• fruity olive oil
  • 1​ pound sweet Italian sausage, links skinned 
  • 1 large coarsely chopped fennel bulb
  • ​1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large leek, chopped
  • ​1-2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (or mince w/ a chef's knife, cupping one hand above so they don't fly around everywhere) VERY OPTIONAL!
  • 2 fat garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
  • 2 quarts chicken stock, or more (better than bouillon is fine)
  • 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, rubbed between your palms
  • ​2-​3 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise, seeded w/ a spoon, then sliced into half moons
  • 1 summer squash, prepared same as above zucchini
  • 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in purée
  • 1 can white beans, (navy, cannellini, etc.)
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed, chopped fresh basil, or more
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cooked small pasta: bowties, elbows or ditalini

Your favorite Parmesan or Romano

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot. Over medium-high heat, sauté the sausage, breaking it up until well browned. Drain the fat, leaving some behind, scoop out sausage & set aside.

2. Place pot over low-medium heat, add some olive oil, then:

fennel, onion, leek, celery ​& crushed fennel seeds.

Cook, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Add the garlic & stir till fragrant.

3. Add​ the cooked sausage back, the cabbage, chicken stock, Italian seasoning & stir. Bring to a boil, then lower heat let simmer gently for about 2​0 minutes w/ lid slightly ajar.

4. When all is soft, remove lid & add carrots, simmer 10 minutes

5. Add zucchini, summer squash, crushed tomatoes, and last, the white beans.

​Simmer until all is tender.

6. Turn off heat, add fresh basil & season with salt & pepper.

* While soup is simmering, cook the pasta separately, and add to each bowl when ready to serve.

*Pour soup over pasta, and top with lots of Parmesan cheese.

* Garnishing each serving with fennel fronds looks pretty

Note: This soup freezes beautifully since there are no potatoes, and the pasta is cooked separately.

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@sabatini 

The posting here of your soup recipe is greatly appreciated.  I can't wait until I can get out to get the few ingredients I am missing.  I can picture myself enjoying the seafood version!!!  

Respected Contributor

I'm always asked for my collard greens and macaroni and cheese. 😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Valued Contributor

I appreciate the thread - really do - but if possible and not too much trouble, could you also post the recipe? That would really be appreciated.

Thank You. I visit here often.

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@sabatini 

The posting here of your soup recipe is greatly appreciated.  I can't wait until I can get out to get the few ingredients I am missing.  I can picture myself enjoying the seafood version!!!  

Oh gee, thanks @vabreeze ! Heart

If you want to get fancy, steam or simmer some clams or mussels, and use them as garnish, tucking them on top of the soup, and scatter some fennel fronds over them. (freeze that broth for the next time you make soup)

I love to make a pot of this when family is flying in for a visit. Plunk some bread, butter & grated cheese on the table, and you're done. 

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

I like to consider myself a good cook and have many favorite recipes.  It is ironic that some of the most popular foods I prepare are not my family's favorite.  For example I can  a hot dog relish that has a huge following (I ran a concession stand for many years), yet none of my kids like it.  Another favorite is a crockpot baked bean sidedish that one of my boys claims that the mere smell  of makes him noxious. Yesterday I baked/delivered Fresh Strawberry Pies to my children's families; they might be considered my "Best Dish" by the ones I love the most.