Respected Contributor
On 2/8/2014 chips said:

I have a brisket from our 1/4 cow and this is how I am fixing it.

I just made a 10# brisket for the Super Bowl. My sister gets a cow and gives me the brisket.

Respected Contributor
On 2/5/2014 Deadeye Daisy said:

If you buy the whole one at Costco, you would be far better if you left it whole and cooked it. Leave the entire fat cap on; cook fat side up with whatever fixings you like.

However you cook it, allow the cooked meat to cool in the sauce, preferably overnight. Then and ONLY then, remove the fat cap. Separate the brisket's two sections; each section will have the grain running in a different direction. At this point, you have several options. Divide the cooked brisket into 3 or 4 pieces. When dividing, cut WITH the grain of the meat. This will give you a narrower section to slice later (ACROSS THE GRAIN).

I live alone, but still smoke or oven cook a whole brisket. Generally 10 - 14 pounds. I like to freeze half of the sections submerged separately in containers with beef stock. I slice the other two sections and freeze them covered with beef stock. If you cooked your brisket so you have some cooking liquid, use that instead of the beef stock. Brisket is one of those cuts of beef that turns out better cooked whole, than if you try to cut it up before cooking

Your stored brisket will also have way more flavor if you refrigerate after cooking for several days before freezing.

Having lived, cooked and dined in Texas for many years, and having spent my childhood having brisket at many a sedar, I know and love the stuff. These days, I prefer to slow smoke the brisket, but have been known to 'cheat' and use the oven.

Thanks for the info. How do you usually cook yours when you do it in the oven? With dry rub? or do you braise it?

I have done both, the last one I covered in onions and baked it covered on low for around 6 hrs and made gravy. Although, I think I prefer rub, I then dip in bbq sauce when eating.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope someone is checking this thread today. I need help ASAP!! I have a (probably stupid) question. Feels dumb....

Anyway, brisket is a cut I have never made before. When I went to the store, I expected to find it on a shrink wrapped pack like a chuck roast but they didn't have anything like that. I did find briskets in kind of a bag so I bought one.

Now that I have it at home, I see that it is a CORNED beef brisket! Is that something totally different? Should I have gotten something else (because this is all they had).

It's in kind of a brine or liquid with a seasoning packet. Can I rinse it off, toss the packet and go ahead and use the above recipe today (which I am totally stoked for and have the stuff)?

OR just should I just cook it as directed? That sounds like something for St. Patrick's day and I don't have any cabbage. It's snowing to beat the band here too so I can't go get anyway. Waaaahhhh!

Somebody help!!! Thanks in advance.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Brisket is so expensive here in Colorado compared to Texas that we don't even buy it anymore. We could get a large cryovaced brisket in Texas for around .99 cents a pound. Here in Colorado it is about 4.99 a pound, which makes a 10 po und brisket $40.00. Way too much for me!

Super Contributor
On 2/9/2014 BeckiWV said:

I hope someone is checking this thread today. I need help ASAP!! I have a (probably stupid) question. Feels dumb....

Anyway, brisket is a cut I have never made before. When I went to the store, I expected to find it on a shrink wrapped pack like a chuck roast but they didn't have anything like that. I did find briskets in kind of a bag so I bought one.

Now that I have it at home, I see that it is a CORNED beef brisket! Is that something totally different? Should I have gotten something else (because this is all they had).

It's in kind of a brine or liquid with a seasoning packet. Can I rinse it off, toss the packet and go ahead and use the above recipe today (which I am totally stoked for and have the stuff)?

OR just should I just cook it as directed? That sounds like something for St. Patrick's day and I don't have any cabbage. It's snowing to beat the band here too so I can't go get anyway. Waaaahhhh!

Thanks!

Becki, a corned beef is nothing like an uncooked brisket. Maybe you should start a brand new SOS thread about your problem, because it might be noticed easier, or more quickly, at least. There are a lot of savvy cooks here who I'm sure can help.

IDK the answer to your problem, but I checked & there are lots of online recipes for making a corned beef, BBQ style. In most recipes, the corned beef is soaked first in order to remove some of the saltiness, & then cooked w/ your method of choice. Maybe you could use this recipe, but first soak, or boil for awhile? Not sure.

Good luck & let us know what happens!

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/9/2014 Sabatini2 said:

It's in kind of a brine or liquid with a seasoning packet. Can I rinse it off, toss the packet and go ahead and use the above recipe today (which I am totally stoked for and have the stuff)?<br /> <br /> OR just should I just cook it as directed? That sounds like something for St. Patrick's day and I don't have any cabbage. It's snowing to beat the band here too so I can't go get anyway. Waaaahhhh!

Thanks!

Becki, a corned beef is nothing like an uncooked brisket. Maybe you should start a brand new SOS thread about your problem, because it might be noticed easier, or more quickly, at least. There are a lot of savvy cooks here who I'm sure can help.

IDK the answer to your problem, but I checked & there are lots of online recipes for making a corned beef, BBQ style. In most recipes, the corned beef is soaked first in order to remove some of the saltiness, & then cooked w/ your method of choice. Maybe you could use this recipe, but first soak, or boil for awhile? Not sure.

Oh thank you. That makes me feel much better. I am at least very glad to verify that a brisket and a corned beef brisket is two different things, LOL.

I think I will probably cook it as intended and next time make sure I get a different brisket (darn Krogers).

I'm sure it will be a great meal, no matter what.

Super Contributor

It's in kind of a brine or liquid with a seasoning packet. Can I rinse it off, toss the packet and go ahead and use the above recipe today (which I am totally stoked for and have the stuff)?<br /> <br /> OR just should I just cook it as directed? That sounds like something for St. Patrick's day and I don't have any cabbage. It's snowing to beat the band here too so I can't go get anyway. Waaaahhhh!

Thanks!

Oh thank you. That makes me feel much better. I am at least very glad to verify that a brisket and a corned beef brisket is two different things, LOL.

I think I will probably cook it as intended and next time make sure I get a different brisket (darn Krogers).

I think you're being smart. Over the years when I've made a similar kind of mistake, & tried to monkey around w/ it, I've been disappointed with the results.

But I'll betcha someone will say "I always cook my corned beef BBQ style!" I look FWD to hearing about it!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks!

I think you're being smart. Over the years when I've made a similar kind of mistake, & tried to monkey around w/ it, I've been disappointed with the results.

But I'll betcha someone will say "I always cook my corned beef BBQ style!" I look FWD to hearing about it!

Me too. I hope someone will do that if they have. I'm going to look forward to that. Dinner is at 6:00 today, so I had no choice but to go ahead and proceed with what I had. Geez...LOL.

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor
This sounds so delicious! I am going to make it as soon as I buy the next brisket. I had used chili sauce in another roast recipe and it gave it such a good flavor but lost that recipe and have not been able to duplicate it. And thanks to Deadeye Daisy for sharing her expertise. Will incorporate it also.
Super Contributor

Becki I think I would cook the corned beef brisket as intended, not using this recipe, the flavors will probably clash. If you have any coleslaw try that with your corned beef once you have cooked it. A local deli that has been featured on a couple of TV shows for its unique, great food makes this marvelous corned beef sandwich with coleslaw on it and it is out of this world. Otherwise, cook the corned beef with its enclose seasoning and serve with potatoes, still makes a great cold weather meal. FYI, for future reference, beef brisket looks like a raw piece of beef roast. Some stores only carry this cut during summer months. I usually find it year round at Costco if you have one near and are a member. Enjoy whatever you decide to cook, I love both!