Honored Contributor

I have been investigating baking rice lately.  It has been very successful for me (rice is not my strong suit).  This made the house smell so good while baking I had to share. 

1 t softened butter
1-1/2 cups medium grain white rice
1-1/2 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
1 cup water
1 t sea salt
1/3 cup toasted coconut flakes

Pre heat 375.  Grease 8 x 8 inch baking dish with butter.  Add rice to the dish.  

In a small sauce pan, combine coconut milk, water and sea salt.  Cover and heat to medium-high.  As soon as it comes to a rapid simmer pour over rice.  Stir and cover tightly with foil.

Bake for 65 minutes. Remove, uncover and fluff with a fork.  Stir in coconut flakes and serve. 

Toasting coconut flakes:  Add to small saucepan.  Heat to medium.  Stir constantly.  When they start turning brown remove from heat.  Stir for 30 more seconds before putting into a bowl to stop browning. 

I used Jasmine rice.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds delish. Will have to give your recipe a try.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne This sounds like a taste of home!  I could eat coconut out of a tree, it is truly my guily pleasure.  I love Russell Stovers dark chocolate & coconut candy,  yum.. I am going to try this out for sure.

Honored Contributor

Re: BAKED COCONUT RICE

[ Edited ]

It sounds delish, but I'd never turn on the oven just to bake rice.  From an energy conservation standpoint, baking rice for 65 minutes seems ... a tad excessive.  

I bet the ingredients and quantities could be reconfigured (if necessary) for stove top preparation ... but since I like coconut so much, I think I'll give this some thought  ... thanks for the recipe @DiAnne    

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I am sure you could make it on the stove top.  I am a pretty good cook but rice has always been iffy with me.  I tend to forget about it.  I used the stove top last night for fresh scallops with an orange sauce while the rice baked away.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne  This sounds really good, but then I like most things coconut (especially a good cake).

Honored Contributor

Got these instructions here a long long time ago:

THIS REALLY WORKS!  FANTASTIC RICE!

Miss Chris et al: The excellent reference cookbook "The Best Recipe" has this to say about brown rice: BAKE IT IN THE OVEN. Here's their recipe:

1-1/2 cups brown rice
2-1/3 cups water
2 tsp unsalted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt

1)Preheat oven to 375. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Spread rice in 8" square glass baking dish.**

2)Bring water and fat to a boil on stovetop, covered. Once boiling, stir in salt and immediately pour over rice. Cover baking dish tightly with double layer of foil. Bake 1 hour until tender.

3)Remove rice from oven and uncover. Fluff with a fork, cover with a clean kitchen towel for 5 min. Uncover, let stand 5 more min., and serve.

**You may use an 8" ceramic baking dish with lid instead of foil-covered glass. To double, use a 13x9 baking dish with foil, no increase in cooking time.

Message was edited by boby at Feb 25, 2006 3:59 PM

ANOTHER POST:
I have tried all ways, and I find that baking it in a covered casserole in the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes is best. 1 cup rice to 1 3/4 cups boiling water, 1/2 tsp salt. Butter if you want, but not necessary.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Thanks.  I have done white rice but never brown rice.   

I have a recipe here to try No Stir Risotto done in the oven.  If that works I will be amazed.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne --that sounds really good. I made coconut curry chicken meatballs  with a side of jasmine rice--my fave too--but only had coconut creme not the milk for the curry  and have to say---it tasted even better--I like a touch a sweet with dishes like that---but this rice-- would be really good with it.