Honored Contributor
No takers on garlic salt or baking soda.......maybe.......NEXT INGREDIENT....GROUND BEEF?
Esteemed Contributor

Don't use baking soda but have a suggestion for garlic salt. Use it on your roasted veggies if you don't have fresh garlic.

Unstuffed Peppers

Brown ground beef, drain fat:
1 lb ground beef

Add to pan & sauté til tender:

1 sm onion, diced small

1 cl garlic, minced

Add to pan:

28oz tomatoes, crushed

drain juice (measure juice)

1 can Tomato sauce

1 tsp Worchestershire

1 cup tomato juice from can

1/2 C uncooked rice
cut up peppers

Add ground beef back to pan. Stir together.

Cover and cook until liquid is almost all absorbed.

Mixture should be moist when rice is done. About 20 -30 mins.

Left over tomato juice or water can be added if needed

Next ingredient: Pasta

Honored Contributor

Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta

Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
  • 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used a mix of button and crimini)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth for vegetarian)
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
  • ½ tsp salt, or to taste
  • ? tsp pepper, or to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Parmesan, for serving (optional)
  • 12 oz angel hair pasta
Instructions
  1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute for 2 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until softened, about 6-7 minutes. Sitr in the minced garlic and saute until fragrant- 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  3. Stir in the broth and cream. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and parsley, stirring until cheese is melted. Add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Taste. You may want to add a little bit more salt.
  4. Add the cooked pasta to the pot and toss to coat. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan, fresh ground pepper, and parsley to top.

Next Ingredient: Bratwurst (and I just bought loose bratwurst meat (not in the casings) and I don't have a clue what to do with it except make patties so if anyone else has a recipe I would appreciate it!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't usually post a recipe I haven't cooked or eaten, but this sounds delicious. Brown the bratwurst like you would ground beef instead of dicing one in the casing. Read the entire recipe. You get 2 for 1.

Beer Cheese and Bratwurst Mac & Cheese

1 package (5 links) Bratwurst, cooked and diced.
1 stick of butter
3-4 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour (I don't measure, but it needs to be enough that it forms a glue-like consistency when added to the butter.)
2 tsp. or so garlic salt
Pepper to taste
1 12 oz. bottle of lighter beer, such as Budweiser (Darker beers are delicious to drink while making this, but can overpower everything else if used in the recipe. Stick to the cheap-ish stuff. )
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, cut into chunks
1 1/2 C fat free half and half (you can use regular, but the fat free is just as good, and saves a few calories.)
1 lb. PLUS 1 C. Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, hand shredded (pre-shredded leaves this a totally different, weird consistency because of the non-clumping stuff "they" add to it.)
1 lb. small shell or elbow pasta, cooked until all the way done (not al dente) and drained.
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425.

Cook and dice the bratwurst. Set aside in a bowl lined with paper towels, to drain.
In a large skillet melt the butter, then add the AP flour and cook until well combined, and the consistency of runny-ish glue. Stir in garlic salt and pepper.

Whisk in the bottle of beer. Keep stirring until well combined, and hot.

Whisk in the cream cheese, until melted and combined.

Whisk in the half and half.

When the mixture starts to thicken a bit, start adding the shredded cheese, small handfuls at a time, until combined well, and the cheese isn't stringy anymore, but a thick sauce.

(Now you could stop here, and you'll have the absolute best beer cheese dip for soft preztels or those amazing pretzel rolls from Costco. Perfect for those who like to watch sports in groups, which I don't. Or for movie nights or TV show marathons with a group of friends, which I do happen to love!)

Add the diced bratwurst, then combine with pasta. Taste test and any more salt and pepper, only if needed.

Pour into a 9x13 baking dish, top with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden.

Next ingredient: Cabbage

Honored Contributor

Zhills, thank you for this. You had me at cheap beer . . . {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} . . . and also thanks to you and Walker for keeping this thread going. I am not much of a cook (as a matter of fact the majority of the recipes I make have come from this board) so I can't participate as much as I would like. Thanks to all of you that are so generous with their recipes!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Next ingredient: Cabbage

Super Contributor

Cabbage Soup With Apples and Thyme

3 TBSP. butter

1 TBSP. olive oil

8 cups thinly sliced cored green cabbage

1 large onion chopped

8 sprigs fresh thyme

6 cups low-salt chicken (or vegetable) broth

1-1/4 # Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cured, cut into ½ inch cubes (maybe more?)

Melt 1 TBSP. butter with oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and onion; sauté until vegetables wilt and brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add 8 sprigs and sauté 1 minute longer. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Melt remaining 2 TBSP. butter in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples and sauté until brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove thyme sprigs from soup. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with apples and chopped fresh thyme.

Next Ingredient: Ground turkey (or chicken)

Honored Contributor

Turkey Porcupines in Basil-Tomato Sauce

1 lb. ground turkey

1/2 cup uncooked regular rice

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 Tablespoons oil

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1 cup water

2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce

Combine turkey, rice, onion, salt and pepper; mix well. Shape into approximately 16 balls. In skillet, lightly brown meatballs in oil, carefully turning to brown evenly. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients; blend well. Pour over meatballs; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

NEXT INGREDIENT: STRAWBERRIES

Esteemed Contributor

Image result for strawberry waffles

Florida Strawberry Waffles
Ingredients:
4 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons orange liqueur (optional)

In a medium-sized bowl, combine strawberries with the 1/2 cup of sugar and orange liqueur. Let it sit while you make the shortcakes. Mash some of the berries to make ‘juice’ on the berries to soak into the waffle, yum. Let set 15 minutes to sweeten.

Make Belgium waffles in your waffle iron. Cook 'til crisp. Pour sweeten strawberries on top of waffle and top with whipped cream.

Top with a whole berry just for looks! They were skimpy with the strawberries in this picture, I'm not!

Next ingredient: Boiled eggs

Esteemed Contributor

Alexis's Light Egg Salad Sandwich

9 hard boiled eggs peeled whites chopped and 3 yolks crumbled. Save the rest of the yolks for another use

1/3 cup mayo plus more for spreading

1 medium stalk of celery cut into 1/4 inch dice

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon madras curry powder (optional)

coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to your taste

8 slices whole grain bread

1 small head radicchio

Mix whites, yolks, mayo, celery, and mustard and curry if desired. Season with the salt and pepper. Spread the rest of the mayo on the 4 slices of bread top with the radicchio, and egg salad. Sandwich with the remaining bread.

This is Alexis Stewarts recipe from Martha Stewart Living Magazine.

Next ingredient

Peanut Butter or any nut butter