Honored Contributor

I noticed in a few threads on other forums that Apple Cake is being prepared by many for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for one that is NOT a snack-cake style (made in a 9 inch square or 9x13 pan) but a bit fancier, lol. Does anyone have one to share that is made as a layer cake or a bundt cake? TIA!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Apple Cake recipe needed

[ Edited ]

Try this:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/old-fashioned-apple-cake-with-brown-sugar-frosting-recipe

OR  this:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/secret-ingredient-apple-spice-cake-recipe

You cannot go wrong on King Arthur recipes; there are other apple cake recipes that might satisfy more.....I use their products and their bread recipes and they are excellent.

Honored Contributor

Dorie Greenspan has Marie-Hélène's Apple Cake recipe, it's been posted online many times if you google it. You know how they are about links here. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

sahmlam. i make a apple chocolate chip cake in a bunt pan if your interested let me know and i will write it.

Regular Contributor

I don't have access to my cookbook right now, but I found a German Apple Cake recipe that looks like the one I use.  Normally, I bake it in a 9 x 13 pan and serve without icing.   I have found, one of the "secrets" is to bake it the day BEFORE you need it.  It is much better after it sits for about a day because it becomes more moist.  The batter will be VERY stiff.  Looks like a "mistake", but it's not.  I have already made it for a special occasion (wedding) in round cake pans and iced it with a cream cheese icing.  Delicious.   If you bake it in smaller pans, you will probably need to shorten your baking time a little.

GERMAN APPLE CAKE 
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups fresh apples, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 to 1 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease a 9x13-inch pan and dust with flour; shake out any excess.

Combine all ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon. Batter will be very stiff. Transfer batter to prepared pan and spread evenly using a wet spatula.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone; I will go look up those recipes!

@Pooky1  I appreciate you offering to do that; chocolate is not wanted by the family for Thanksgiving so I'll need to pass..... though it sounds great to ME!  

Respected Contributor

ok. no problem. thats why i asked you because of there being chocolate in it. if anyone else wants it i will be happy to write it.

Respected Contributor

Hi, @SahmIam!

When I saw your request, I immediately thought of an apple cake recipe that was shared by a poster, @Britbrit13 awhile back. 2013!

I found her post, but unfortunately, since it's an old one, none of the replies are there anymore, but as I recall, there'd been a lot of them!

She RAVED about that cake! That post had over 1,00 views!  

Here, & I've also copied her post, below:

Mom's apple cake

Mom's APPLE CAKE

tasted, and approved of

Apple cake by Smitten Kitchen, I made this and it was beyond delicious.. We ate the whole thing in 1 day...IT was just so good!!!!!!!!!!!I thought id share,

Mom’s Apple Cake

6 apples, Mom uses McIntosh apples, I used jonagold apples
1 tablespoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons sugar

2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil I used half applesuce and half oil..
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice, I used apple, cause I didn't have orange...
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a tube pan. 

Peel, core and chop apples into chunks. Toss with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla.

Mix wet ingredients into the dry ones, then add eggs, one at a time.

Scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread half of apples over it.

Pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples on top.

Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a tester comes out clean.

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@sabatini

In reading Britbrit's recipe as given in the Smitten Kitchen website, the following comments from the site may be of benefit to those contemplating making it:

Cool completely before running knife between cake and pan, and unmolding onto a platter.

Do ahead: This cake is awesome on the first day but absolutely glorious and pudding-like on the days that follow, so feel free to get an early start on it. I keep it at room temperature covered with foil.

* Tip: The apples love to hide uncooked pockets of batter, especially near the top. Make sure your testing skewer or toothpick goes not just all the way down to the bottom, but does a shallow dip below the top layer of apples to make sure it comes out batter-free. Should your cake be browning too fast, before the center is baked through, cover it with foil for all but the last few minutes in the oven.

I enjoyed reading the entire SK post for "someone' s" (LOL) 'mom' s apple cake'.

Super Contributor

@barefootwillow wrote:

I don't have access to my cookbook right now, but I found a German Apple Cake recipe that looks like the one I use.  Normally, I bake it in a 9 x 13 pan and serve without icing.   I have found, one of the "secrets" is to bake it the day BEFORE you need it.  It is much better after it sits for about a day because it becomes more moist.  The batter will be VERY stiff.  Looks like a "mistake", but it's not.  I have already made it for a special occasion (wedding) in round cake pans and iced it with a cream cheese icing.  Delicious.   If you bake it in smaller pans, you will probably need to shorten your baking time a little.

GERMAN APPLE CAKE 
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups fresh apples, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 to 1 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease a 9x13-inch pan and dust with flour; shake out any excess.

Combine all ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon. Batter will be very stiff. Transfer batter to prepared pan and spread evenly using a wet spatula.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Like this recipe - thanks for posting!

Plan on making in an 8" X 8" old corning bakeware.

How would you adjust the cooking time?

Thanks again  Smiley Happy