Honored Contributor

Re: Apple Cake recipe needed

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove wrote:

Try this:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/old-fashioned-apple-cake-with-brown-sugar-frosting-recipe

OR  this:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/secret-ingredient-apple-spice-cake-recipe

You cannot go wrong on King Arthur recipes; there are other apple cake recipes that might satisfy more.....I use their products and their bread recipes and they are excellent.

The "Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting" is to die for!

Regular Contributor

If you make it in one 8 x 8 pan, that will make it quite abit thicker.  Not sure on the timing, but thinking it would be close to the 60 minutes, maybe a little longer?   I don't know how deep your corningware dish is, if it would hold it?  When I made the smaller cake, I used two pans, either 8 or 9 inch round pans.  The color of the cake is light brown when baked and the top has kind of a dry-ish look to it, but that is normal.   If you bake it the day before, it should be nice and moist.    I hope that helps Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@namaste000  I responded to your question, but it doesn't look like it is referenced to you.  I am kinda new to this Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

@barefootwillow thanks for both of your replies!

Alas I won't be baking it for awhile.  I was going to bake it today (thanksgiving day) for our family get together tomorrow.  Turned the oven on and...no oven Smiley Sad   It's a really old stove-have replaced a burner once, but no heat in the stove!

Was upset but then thankful that I wasn't hosting thanksgiving this year!

Respected Contributor

Apple Cake Sharlotka

4.8 from 5 reviews
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins

Meet your new favorite apple cake! This country apple cake (a.k.a. Sharlotka) is soft, moist and unbelievably easy with just 6 ingredients - perfect for last minute company!

Author: Natasha of  NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Easy

Serving: 9" round single layer cake

Ingredients
  • 6 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (210 grams)
  • 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour (165 grams)
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1½ lbs (3 med/large) granny smith apples
  • Confectioners a.k.a. powdered sugar to dust, optional
Instructions
  1. Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Line bottom of un-greased 9" round springform pan with a circle of parchment paper
  2. Add 6 eggs to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, and beat on high speed for 1 minute until foamy. With the mixer on, gradually add 1 cup sugar and beating on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and fluffy ribbon forms.*
  3. Meanwhile, peel, core, quarter and slice apples into ¼" thick pieces.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1⅓ cups flour with ½ tsp baking powder. Sift flour mixture into the beaten egg batter in 3 increments, folding with a spatula between each addition. Scrape from bottom of bowl to ensure pockets of flour aren't missed. Stop mixing when you no longer see streaks of flour (don't over-mix). Quickly fold in 1 tsp vanilla extract just until incorporated.
  5. Fold in sliced apples, reserving 1 cup for the top. Fold just until combined into batter then pour batter into prepared springform pan. Spread batter evenly with a spatula (do not tap the pan) and scatter remaining apple evenly over the top. Bake at 350˚F for 50-55 minutes. Top will be golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest in pan 15 min. Slide a thin spatula or knife around edges of pan to loosen and transfer cake to a cake platter to cool. Once at room temperature, sprinkle top with powdered sugar and serve.
Notes*When you pull up on the whisk, the ribbon of batter should sit for a few seconds on the surface before incorporating back into the batter.
Pro Tip: As with any egg-based cake, be sure you beat the eggs and sugar sufficiently. If using a high powered electric hand mixer, add 2 min to beating time in step 2. Also, keep cake away from outdoor draft.
Honored Contributor

@doglover3  Oooo... This sounds fantastic! Thank you for posting the recipe!

Respected Contributor

hope you enjoy it

Occasional Contributor

I dont know if you are still looking, but if you are, here is my recipe for Apple Cake . You can make it in a Tube or Bundt pan. I haven't made it in a while, but when I do I serve it with a little whipped cream.

Apple Cake

Ingredients

3 cups finely chopped apples

1½ cup oil

2 cups sugar

3 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

3 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. soda

Directions

In a large bowl mix together oil, sugar eggs and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients and mix till combined.  Fold in apples. Pour batter into a prepared tube or bundt pan. (I just use a cooking spray like PAM).  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. 

Topping 

1 cup brown sugar

¼ cup milk

1 stick butter or marjoram

In a sauce pan mix and boil 3 minutes. Pour over hot cake.