Frequent Contributor

A co-worker gave me the starter for this bread last Monday 9/19.....when do I bake it.....I don't want to make more starters from this so help please......Sandy

Valued Contributor

It's been a long time since I've made that, but I googled it and there's all kinds of info on it. You may just try that and see what they say about it. Hope you can find an answer!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no!!!  Throw it in the trash!!  It will take over your life, it multiplies like Kudzu!!!

Respected Contributor

It's the dreaded "chain letter" of baked goods!  It's been decades since I had any.  I remember it was tasty but the starter can easily get out of hand.  

Trusted Contributor

Three meezers
My apologies for a late answer. With a starter it takes 10 days to make the cake, So whatever day the person made their cake and gave you a starter will count as day 1. I posted this recipe about 4 years ago. If you notice, there is also a starter recipe, You could always make the cake then toss out the starters. I have a friend who puts her starters in a zip lock bag then puts them in the freezer, and uses them when she wants a cake. Her friendship bread turns out just fine. If you freeze the starters,and then want to make a friendship bread, take the starter out of the freezer, then let it thaw. Count that as day one. Here is what I posted 4 years ago......... Hope this helps you in the future. Smiley Happy

With this being my first Christmas without my DM..I am posting this recipe in her honor..She loved it and would make ioaves to share..people requested them. She would make loaves for the members of her Church, the post man..etc. Hope you give it a try. It takes 10 days from start to finish, but worth every bit of the wait.
Amish Friendship Bread
This cake takes 10 days to make..but worth it!!
In a GLASS jar or a PLASTIC bowl, put in the following ingredients (This is the starter)...NEVER use a metal bowl or untenisls.
~~~NOTE~~~ WHEN MAKING THE STARTER, INSTEAD OF USING A BOWL, YOU CAN PUT THE "STARTER" INGREDIENTS IN A LARGE SIZE ZIP LOCK BAG. ON DAYS YOU ARE TO STIR IT JUST SQUISH THE BAG REAL GOOD. DO THAT A COUPLE TIMES A DAY ON "STIR" DAYS~~~~~~
Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup warm water...110 degrees
1 packet yeast...DO NOT use rapid yeast
Day 1..do nothing (This is the day you begin making the friendship bread).
Days 2,3,4 and 5...Stir with a WOODEN OR PLASTIC spoon
Day 6...add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk
Days 7,8 and 9..Stir with a Wooden or Plastic spoon.
Day 10...add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk
Put 1 cup of the batter in a plastic or glass bowl. Using 3 zip lock bags, put 1 cup of the starter in each bag. Starters can be frozen. When you take the starter out of the freezer, you will count that as day 1.
Cake:
Mix together:
1 cup starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well.
IN A SEPERATE BOWL MIX:
2 CUPS FLOUR
1 CUP SUGAR
1 1/2 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
1 TEASPOON CINNAMON
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1 CUP CHOPPED NUTS
1 LARGE box INSTANT VANILLA pudding
Combine with the cake ingredients listed above. Pour batter into 2 well greased and SUGARED loaf pans. Sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar. Bake 1 hour at 325*
~~~~ADDITIONAL NOTE~~~~ THE BAGS OF STARTER CAN BE FROZEN. WHEN YOU TAKE A BAG OUT OF THE FREEZER COUNT THAT AS DAY ONE~~~~~~
LilBitMissty

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Oh no!!!  Throw it in the trash!!  It will take over your life, it multiplies like Kudzu!!!

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL You are too funny

Respected Contributor

Waving Hi to LilBitMisstyWoman Very Happy

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC posting active link to sale

Contributor

@Carol1229, are you the same person who used to share many recipes and pictures from 4 or 5 years?  If so, I have many of your recipes and truly cherish everything you've shared.  Thank you and I hope to see more of your recipes again, please.  Smiley Happy

If you're not the same person, then welcome to the Recipe Swap and thank you for sharing the website for the Friendship Bread Kitchen.  I've bookmarked it for future reference. 

Have a wonderful day!

gr8auntie

Frequent Contributor

thanks Carol, however, I am still confused.  I have had the starter for 9 days....the only thing I have done with it is squeez it everday.  I haven't added anything to it just squeezed!!  Can I still bake bread or should I through it out?  Thanks again