Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@RinaRina I don't buy a lot of meat, but I have heard one should never buy ground meat because you will get the worst.  Pick the meat that you like and have the butcher grind it for you.  That is what we used to do.

=============================================

Haha!  That's funny.  Where I live, there are no "butchers".

All meats sold at the supermarkets are delivered already butchered and wrapped.

The people who work in the meat department don't cut a thing.

They unload the delivery truck and put everything out to be sold - pre-wrapped.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@RinaRina  Wrap them in what?

==============================

Plastic zip lock bags.

@RinaRina  Danger.gif

With ground beef you should always use either freezer paper or Food Saver.   And most important, always "date it" right befor you put it in the freezer.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

If you're just putting a hamburger patty in a ziploc bag and putting it in the freezer, there's the problem.   

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  I agree with other posters. You have to wrap them in something then put in a freezer bag. I wrap in foil, then into the bag.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't eat anything that tasted Weird. 

are you sure it's just beef and not a blend of beef/pork/veal like a meatloaf mix?

Freezer burn can do it. I don't think a freezer bag would be air tight enough.

I now use a food saver which I really like. Before, I would wrap the patties in plastic wrap then foil. Lable and date them.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Plastic zip lock bags.

@RinaRina I've used a Food Saver for over 30 years.   HUGE HUGE difference from the Freezer Zip Lock bags.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@RinaRina I don't buy a lot of meat, but I have heard one should never buy ground meat because you will get the worst.  Pick the meat that you like and have the butcher grind it for you.  That is what we used to do.

No butchers?  Where do you live?  I didn't think that was a city thing.  All supermarkets I have seen have butchers too that can grind meat.  But you have no stores at all, just a truck?  Maybe that is why its bad.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I eating "bad" Meat?

[ Edited ]

Raw mwat cannot be frozen twice  because it will change the texture of the meat- not sure if this is what you were describing.  If you buy meat  that had been frozen and you cook it, it can be frozen, but if it had been frozen and you defrost and then refreeze without cooking it , the texture changes from what I remember reading a long time ago.

Shelf life of any uncooked meat is not very long . Yrs ago , I shopped at a particular grocery store . I am always looking at the expiration date of anything I buy   along with sell by date  on  the meat .  I was so sick of  buying chicken that smelled bad as soon as I opened the package , that I began  ripping the packages open  as soon as I paid for the meat to keep from making an extra trip back to the store. Finally , I  began doing business with a meat market that was further away .

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@RinaRina If you have a kitchenaid mixer you can get an attachment for it that will grind it for you.  You can also do it in a food processor but the texture is better in the grinder.

Mass processed hamburger is not great and not always reliable.  It might be a good investment to get a grinder.

Good hamburger should be as good as good steaks and good roasts in taste.  

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Plastic zip lock bags.

@RinaRina  Danger.gif

With ground beef you should always use either freezer paper or Food Saver.   And most important, always "date it" right befor you put it in the freezer.

===========================================

Okay. 

It must be the plastic bags.  

Thanks!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."