Respected Contributor

I made a half recipe of this, then had half of that for dinner tonight.  I am seriously considering the 2nd portion for breakfast tomorrow.   This recipe is a keeper, IMHO.

All the Alliums Fried Rice
Girl Meets Farm | Molly Yeh | August 16, 2020

Level: Easy      Total: 45 min    Active: 35 min    Yield: 4 to 6 servings

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots 
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, reserving 1 Tablespoon dark green parts for garnish 
1 1/2 cups finely chopped leeks, white and light green parts 
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion 
Kosher salt 
Flavorless oil 
4 large eggs, beaten 
Black pepper 
4 cloves garlic, minced 
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger 
2 cups cooked brown or white rice 
1 part Sriracha and 3 parts mayonnaise (or Sriracha mayo), for serving  

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat the bottom with a thin layer of oil. When the pan is hot, add the eggs and cook, gently scraping up the bottom with a silicone spatula, until mostly set. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, give them a rough chop. Remove the eggs from the skillet and set aside.

In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the alliums (shallots, scallions, leeks and onion) and a good pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until everything is nice and soft and aromatic, 12 to 15 minutes.

Add the garlic and ginger to the alliums and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. If the pan looks dry at any time, add a bit more butter or some oil.

Add the rice and scrambled eggs and fold to combine. Salt the rice to taste. Increase the heat to medium-high, spread the mixture out evenly over the skillet, and let it cook, uninterrupted, until the bottom is crispy, about 5 minutes.

Serve with Sriracha and mayo and remaining scallions.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Re: All the Alliums Fried Rice

Thank you so much for posting. I’ve been wanting a good recipe for this & if you say it’s good, I’m in! I’ve made some of your recipes so I trust your advice:-) Yum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HB glamma   You're welcome for the recipe.  Thank you for the compliment of trusting my recommendation!  That means a lot, and it was nice of you to tell me.

You might already know this, but here's a tip for anyone who doesn't.  Leeks are notoriously gritty and hard to clean. They have layer after layer, and gritty sand is between every one of them.  So, I dice them first, then dunk the small pieces into my salad spinner filled with water.  After a good swish and swirl, I let the water go still to allow the sand to settle to the bottom, then lift the strainer holding the pieces straight up, out of the water.  Allow the water to drain thoroughly before continuing with the recipe.  

Edited to add:  Two more tips I thought of for this recipe:  I don't use water for cooking rice.  I use chicken broth.  "Add flavor whenever you can."

Lastly, to pare ginger, use the tip of a spoon for scraping off the tough skin.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the idea.  I am all over brown rice and these seasonings but I have never put that many onion types in one dish.  I do like onion sandwiches so I should like this.

Respected Contributor

@HB glamma    I don't mean to "beat this to death," but it crossed my mind this morning that your saying, "...I've been wanting a good recipe for this..." might have been referencing typical Fried Rice, which this recipe is not.

If you are wanting a typical version, as in Chinese cuisine, let me know as I have one I like and would be happy to post for you.   

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@HB glamma    I don't mean to "beat this to death," but it crossed my mind this morning that your saying, "...I've been wanting a good recipe for this..." might have been referencing typical Fried Rice, which this recipe is not.

If you are wanting a typical version, as in Chinese cuisine, let me know as I have one I like and would be happy to post for you.   

@IamMrsG    Please post this recipe for Fried Rice.. 

Hope you have been doing well, It's been a while since I've seen you post.  Stay well.