Honored Contributor

Good morning and good heavens it's August!  Hope you all have been staying cool and doing well.  Please share your fun and fabulous recipes and brownie points will be awarded for any that don't involve cranking the oven . . . 😉😄👍.  Many thanks to @Silverfox1  for starting us off with her delicious tres leche recipe:

TRES LECHE RICE PUDDING

1 cup long grain RICE

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 large egg

1 12oz can evaporated milk

1 13.5oz can unsweetened coconut milk

1 14oz sweetened condense milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

cinnamon to taste....opt. 

To cook RICE:  put the RICE, 2 cups water, and salt in medium saucepan with tight fitting lid. Bring to a hard boil.  Reduce to low simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until water is absorbed.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Whisk the egg in medium bowl.  Whisk in evaporated milk.  Add the unsweetened coconut mik and evaporated milk to RICE. Add in egg mixture. Return to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until it looks mostly absored (the pudding will thicken as it cools), cook about 20-25 minutes.  Stir in vanilla extract.  Remove to serving bowl(s).  Refrigerate 1-2 hours until chilled. When served dust with cinnamon(opt.)

May be served with whipped cream or fresh fruit.

Recipe from Food Network

Next Indgredient:  QUINOA

Honored Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2021 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]
A big thanks to mtc (now I know what it stands for!) for starting us out every month! happy cooking. 🧑‍🍳

Quinoa Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing

D4A6DFB4-22DF-4F6C-A3D8-52F6E93A7753.jpeg

Say hello to my favorite new chopped salad! This Quinoa Kale Salad features medley of healthy, flavorful veggies tossed in a light lemony dressing.

Course Salad, Side Dish
Cuisine American, Vegetarian
Keyword Quinoa Kale Salad
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 13 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes
Servings 6 servings
Calories 208 kcal
Author Jenn Laughlin - Peas and Crayons
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup dry quinoa (tri color or regular white)
  • 1 + 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cups chopped kale
  • 1 can chickpeas (15 oz - drained and rinsed)
  • 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
  • 1/3-1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1 red bell pepper , chopped
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (skip if vegan)
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
LIGHT LEMON DRESSING
  • 1.5 lemons , juiced
  • 3 TBSP avocado oil or light olive oil
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt or extra, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp dried dill or to taste (optional)
Instructions
  1. First rinse and drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer or sieve. Bring a small pot to medium heat and lightly toast the quinoa to remove any excess water, stirring often. This step is optional but really adds to the nuttiness and fluff factor of the quinoa! Next add your water, set burner to high, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for 12-13 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and the liquid has been absorbed.

2. Once your quinoa is ready, fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a medium bowl to cool.

3. While the quinoa cooks, wash and dry your chopped kale (I use my trusty salad spinner) and massage with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt for extra-tender, silky kale that tastes GREAT!

4. Toss kale with chickpeas, bell pepper, broccoli, red onion, and sliced almonds (you can chop these small if you'd like some in every bite). Mix in quinoa.

5. For the lemon dressing, whisk together all the ingredients and give it a taste. If you like the tartness of the lemon juice (I love it!) keep it as is or feel free to add a little extra oil or sweeten a tad if preferred (sugar, honey, or maple syrup are common dressing sweeteners). Pour over salad and mix well. Top with crumbled feta and enjoy!

6. You can dive in right away or chill before serving. I love it both ways! If meal prepping, pop it in the fridge and dive in when your'e ready. The dressing will soak into the salad and amplify the flavor even more. Love it so!

Recipe Notes

Nutrition Facts below are estimated for both salad and dressing using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed based on extras/swaps and enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
Quinoa Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing

Amount Per Serving
Calories 208Calories from Fat 117

% Daily Value*
Fat 13g20%
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Cholesterol 11mg4%
Sodium 255mg11%
Potassium 369mg11%
Carbohydrates 18g6%
Fiber 3g13%
Sugar 3g3%
Protein 7g14%

Vitamin A 2999IU60%
Vitamin C 81mg98%
Calcium 130mg13%
Iron 2mg11%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Next Imgredient: BLACK RICE

Esteemed Contributor

I posted a Quinoa Tabulleh also......on the July thread...Duh!

Next ingredient:  Black Rice

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forbidden-Black-Rice-1004.jpeg

Black Rice with Acorn Squash and Pecans

• 1 1/2 cups wild or forbidden (black) rice
  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 2 shallots peeled and diced
  • 1 cup pecan pieces
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 acorn squash peeled, seeded, and diced
  •  salt and pepper

Instructions

• Set a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter and shallot and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the rice and toss to coat in butter. Add the appropriate amount of water as directed on the rice package (from 3-4 cups depending on the variety of rice.) Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, cover, and bring to a boil.
  • Once boiling, stir, lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until cooked through—follow time directed on rice package.
  • Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the peeled and diced acorn squash in oil and spread over a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn and spread the acorn squash again and roast another 10 minutes. In the last 2-3 minutes sprinkle the pecans over the acorn squash so the pieces can toast.
  • Once the rice and roasted acorn squash are ready, toss together with orange zest and thyme. Then salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Next ingredient: tomatillos 

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Hi @house_cat,

I think the lag in the game was well worth the wait for the black rice recipe you've contributed!  This is my kind of recipe because the ingredients are ordinary and minimal.   I noticed in the listing of ingredients, there is only  '2 tablespoons ________' after the thyme measurement.  However, from reading the directions,  'oil' is the only ingredient mentioned (Toss the peeled and diced acorn squash in oil and spread over a baking sheet) that is not included in the listing of ingredients.  So, should it be 2 TBS oil?

Btw, welcome to the East Coast!  I hope you are pretty much all settled in.

• Next ingredient: tomatillos 
Respected Contributor

@vabreeze 

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Trusted Contributor

@tiny 2m, 

Thanks!

Next ingredient: tomatillos 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2 

Thanks for helping out with that. The mystery ingredient was vegetable oil.

@vabreeze 

I'm glad you like the recipe. I'm a huge fan of simple recipes.  If the ingredients list is too long, or the instructions too complicated, it won't be happening in my kitchen.

I need to thank @GenXmuse for mentioning black rice. I have to admit I'd never heard of it. I think it's something I will enjoy. DH doesn't care for rice, so I'll try it when he's not around. 

Next ingredient is tomatillos. I've never cooked with them, but my son just brought me a basketful from his little farm, so I guess it's time for me to get familiar with them.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Smoky Salsa Verde

1 pound TOMATILLOS, husks and stems removed,

rinsed well and dried

1 small onion, quartered

1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, halved, and seeded

1 garlic clove, peeled

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves 

1 tablespoon lime juice

Salt

Adjust oven rack 5" from broiler element and heat broiler.

Toss TOMATILLOS, onion, jalapeño, and garlic  with oil and place on aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Broil, shaking pan occasionally, until vegetables are lightly charred, 10-12 minutes.  Cool slightly, about 5 minutes.

Add vegetables, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt to food processor and pulse until coarsely ground, 5-7 pulses.  Season with salt to taste.  Salsa can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.  

(A Cook's Country recipe.)

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... SOUR CREAM 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@walker 

Thank you for saving me time!  My task this morning is to make salsa verde to use up these tomatillos.  The first thing I was going to do was search for a good recipe.  I completely trust Cook's Country recipes.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last night I blanched and peeled all the heirloom tomatoes and they are bringing me more today.  I don't like tomatoes, so I'll be turning that into sauce and freezing it.  None of this is what I expected to be doing right now, as I'm not even completely unpacked in this house, but it's time sensitive so I'm getting it done.

IMG_3941.JPG

Next ingredient: Sour Cream

~ house cat ~